Let the holy war begin ;) Lukasz on caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And yet Kondo still hand winds those silver caps and rich fools are still buying;)
Once I started to drink a decent whisky "Canadian Club" leaves me cold but it tasted like haven compared to Polish whisky. Personaly I have no problem and don't care if one can or cannot hear a difference and "ones fool opinion" is not a valid reason to any holly war. Some/most still believe a digital is digital and there is no difference "lampinized" or not. I hear more difference in cables than CD players. Do I buy cables -nope ,I use cheap cords do I spend money ,tinker with CD-players ?? You betcha -sort of mental blockade I can't overcome.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
First I will say, I do NOT spend neither time or money on fancy components, never have
I mostly just use whats on hand, or is easy available at sensible cost

But I do know I am able to detect/hear the most crazy things

I also beleive its quite ok to know on hand what to listen fore

I also acknowledge that you wont hear it, if you dont know about it

Gets tricky eh :D too much fore many, I know that

But to me the "mind thing" work both ways

But one thing Im certain of, is that looks, colour etc and not the least its price, very often have significant influence on how good we think the object sounds, or whether we like it or not

It's raining so I don't mind a chat;)
Some weeks ago I had a group of audio buddies at home to listen to my crap. At that time I hooked up TAD ET-703 supertweeters (which retails at $1300-1500 USD each) Those folks are into HE/horn speakers but usualy buy and sell lower level Altec/JBL/jensen. They asked what tweeters are these (they were mounted in the small boxes) I said - cheap vintage Radio Shack worth a few bucks. The noded their heads and completely lost interest;)so much for TAD.

analog_sa said:
You simply suffer from partial hearing loss but that's ok as here we are very tolerant of people with hearing disabilities :)

Actually a bit off-topic, but I'd like to counter this remark with one of my own.

Some people will tell you it's probably the other way around. I need ear plugs to be able to sleep and an angle grinder (even just idling) is bordering on the intolerable for me without hearing protection. A friend of mine makes fun of me because of that.

OK, I know somewhere between 15 kHz and 18 kHz my hearing rolls off sharply. Yes, 15 years ago I could still hear 18 kHz easily and 20 kHz at higher volume. I could also tell without a-b comparison and within seconds if was listening to lossy compression (DCC or MiniDisc) or to uncompressed, which I had to prove several times for sceptics who didn't believe me. I heard cricket-like sounds (artifacts) in the background of the music with DCC and MD.
Getting older did some of the usual wear, but not to such a degree or speed that music sounds any different. Detecting lossy compression has become harder, esp. at higher bitrates (no surprise), but the part of the frequency range that remains seems unaffected.

Limono's remark about needing time to become aware of differences is one that agrees with my own experiences. In that respect Lukasz' experiment may yield other results if he were to try a cap for - lets say a week - and then swap in another. I never swapped the MKTs back to the elcos, so in that respect my judgement may not be totally fair.
And like Limono, I tend to notice a difference in the level of "irritation" over time. In my own words I would say that the silent space in between the instruments is cleaner and less chaotic with better sources (if the tonal balance and presentation of the soundstage are the same). Sounds a bit weird, but it's the best description I can come up with within the confines of language...

I would tend to agree with Lukasz in one respect - all caps tend to sound the same (crappy) before they are broken in. Once thay are sufficiently broken in (and this time period can vary depending on the materials in the cap) then they most certainly do sound different from one another if used in the signal path. Some differences are more subtle than others but thay will be discernable on a sufficiently resolving system.

Bob

jitter said:

I never swapped the MKTs back to the elcos, so in that respect my judgement may not be totally fair.

I still don't get it. You seem to have a decent system and enough interest in sound. If you only spent the same amount of time experimenting with caps that you have invested in this useless thread you would have reached better conclusions. And why use MKT caps for comparisons? I don't know the exact make you tried but many electrolytics are actually better sounding than per example Philips MKT.

compared to Polish whisky.

perhaps because, 'Polish whiskey', is vodka ...

SobieskiVodka.jpg

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
It would probably sound way better if it was clothed in black with "audiophile" gold lining, and maybe golden leads :D

Still dont understand why they dont sell polycarbonate caps no more
Im told that the later and much desired polypropylene is a much cheaper material

So who's the first to take on the
FIKUS CAPACITOR CHALLENGE
?

I've got a good mind to drive over there this summer and see how far I get.
If only to meet the man and have a look at his speakers (which I and I guess
quite a few people still see as the part to spend the most time and money on).

Should I bring a bunch of silver mica's strung together ;)

analog_sa said:

I don't know the exact make you tried but many electrolytics are actually better sounding than per example Philips MKT.

second that

limono said:
Analog
I hope you are aware that Shindo , Audio Note (UK) and probably some other premier "non audiophole" manufactureres too , prefer MKT caps to MKP for sonic reasons.

or maybe mkt is cheaper to manufacture then mkp? "sonic reasons" sounds like a good industry scape goat/cover. lol

To all those folks who are so 'sure' that they can hear differences between caps:
What proof do you have that you can in fact hear those differences? Have you tested yourself? Or is this just an unfounded opinion?

Since there is some published proof about that even folks who believe they can tell the difference between different amps, can't...

BTW, anybody in the neighbourhood is welcome to drop by and listen to my 'input cap switcher' - bring your own multi-$K components if you'd like.
Cheers
John

SY said:

Keep probing and you'll hear the inevitable, "My wife, who isn't an audiophile, called out from the next room that something had changed

Yes, that seems to be the latest one. I tried that one, wife and kids who are not audiophiles also could not hear the difference between gold ball bonds and normal aluminum compression bonds. This elicited several four letter comments from a famous audio consultant.

John - I owe you an email answer to your question, I have not forgotten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.