DIY chassis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
dyohn is offline dyohn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY chassis

Hi all. I'm building a couple of DIY preamp projects and wondered if there is any reason I can't use an all-wood enclosure for them. The power supplies are external, only 2-wire DC coming to the enclosure, so no need for a chassis ground that I can think of. What about RF rejection? Does a metal chassis help keep RF out of the audio circuit, even if it's not grounded? If so, can't I just use a shield inside the wood box?

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
David
Old 13th April 2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Well Ive built quite a few chassis out of wood but most had metal face plates because to make a durrable front to fit Knobs and switches wood that thin isn"t strong enough .... I just use some 2 mil aluminum for the face plate and drill the holes for the knobs and switches , if you do this make sure you ground it ...

Will it pick up more interferance ?? Possibly , depending on the envoronment it is used in , I haven"t had the problem but I live in a very rural area so there isn"t much arround to cause interferance ..... You should use shielded wire for audio connections which would help with any interferance ....

Most of my wooden chassis have turned out pretty ugly but they work ....

heres a pic of my latest wooden amp ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/DVC00361.jpg

Cheers
Old 14th April 2009, 05:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I hybrid wood and metal use both properties wood easy to machine metal thin and rigid. This one I inlayed top and bottom for the front and back. I routed the metal to fit the wood and put inserts in the wood to bolt to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (31.6 KB, 321 views)
Old 14th April 2009, 05:07 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

for this one I used a prefab Hammond aluminum box but enclosed it in wood to make it more rigid.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumkin.jpg (79.3 KB, 328 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!