DIY chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I'm building a couple of DIY preamp projects and wondered if there is any reason I can't use an all-wood enclosure for them. The power supplies are external, only 2-wire DC coming to the enclosure, so no need for a chassis ground that I can think of. What about RF rejection? Does a metal chassis help keep RF out of the audio circuit, even if it's not grounded? If so, can't I just use a shield inside the wood box?

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
David

Well Ive built quite a few chassis out of wood but most had metal face plates because to make a durrable front to fit Knobs and switches wood that thin isn"t strong enough .... I just use some 2 mil aluminum for the face plate and drill the holes for the knobs and switches , if you do this make sure you ground it ...

Will it pick up more interferance ?? Possibly , depending on the envoronment it is used in , I haven"t had the problem but I live in a very rural area so there isn"t much arround to cause interferance ..... You should use shielded wire for audio connections which would help with any interferance ....

Most of my wooden chassis have turned out pretty ugly but they work ....

heres a pic of my latest wooden amp ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/mr_sevs/DVC00361.jpg

Cheers

I hybrid wood and metal use both properties wood easy to machine metal thin and rigid. This one I inlayed top and bottom for the front and back. I routed the metal to fit the wood and put inserts in the wood to bolt to.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 358
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.