high frequency transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looks like you're going to have to "roll your own" 6kV at 50mA at 450khz is not an easy design. you will need to wind the secondary in pancakes with 30ga wire. each pancake will have to be wound for half the breakdown voltage of the wire insulation. the current on the primary will be close to 2A requiring 18ga or 16ga wire. the windings will need to be kept with as little distributed capacitance as possible. you could try doubling up a couple of TV flyback cores to make your core, as i think 300W would definitely saturate a single core.

making a transmitter?

to anybody reading this, including moderators.....
this question was cross-posted to the Electro-Tech-Online forum with this little tidbit of info that wasn't posted here:

this is for a piece of medical equipment!!!!!!!!

what follows is my answer to him on the other forum......

if i had known this was for a piece of medical equipment i wouldn't have answered by telling him how to build one. MEDICAL EQUIPMENT FOLLOWS VERY STRICT SAFETY AND RELIABILITY STANDARDS, SO DON'T MESS AROUND WITH REPLACING PARTS WITH DIY AND SECOND SOURCE PRODUCTS!!!!!!! sorry, that one need shouting. don't mess around with a piece of equipment on which somebody's life may depend.......

when this question was cross-posted at DIYaudio, the little tidbit about it being for a piece of medical equipment wasn't included.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ohuzoor,
Is this true? Are your repairing a piece of medical equipment?

If not, that is a specialized part. There are some people here who could design it, but they need to know what the end product is. There are strict safety regulations with any equipment that may threaten life in the event of a failure. Also, the duty cycle and power actually delivered are important factors.

If this is for medical equipment, you must not proceed! Not only do you need to obtain the original part, but there will be stringent leakage tests along with all other characteristics of that equipment. This is really beyond anyone but a lab authorized for those repairs, adjustment and certification would probably be required as well.

Can you please clarify the end use please? Additional information is required anyway.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.