Capacitor Substitution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having a hard time matching values on some caps for audio gear from the 1970's:

5uf 100v
50uf 12v
5uf 25v
25uf 25v
50uf 12v
50uf 25v
100uf 6v
100uf 15v

What values would be safe to go to and still get the same sound?

Anyone know of a supplier that might have NOS?

Thanks

d5post said:
I am having a hard time matching values on some caps for audio gear from the 1970's:

5uf 100v
50uf 12v
5uf 25v
25uf 25v
50uf 12v
50uf 25v
100uf 6v
100uf 15v

What values would be safe to go to and still get the same sound?

Anyone know of a supplier that might have NOS?

Thanks

I would guess for these values you'd be looking at electrolytics (although it's not impossible that you want film caps).

For electrolytics, it's not particularly wise to look at NOS, as standardly the shelf-life is 10 years (at the very best) and long periods without use will degrade electrolytics. It's possible to reform/reage old electrolytics, but it's still prbably wiser to select recent manufacture parts.

These values are standard motor run cap values.

Now, motor run caps may not seem all that audiophile, but they are really a wolf in disguise.

The motor run caps are much higher quality than most of the so-called audiophile caps, as failure is not appreciated in the industry.

A brand I have been particular impressed with is Comar.

They happen to be cheap as well.

Magura :)

hello.
for safety use higher voltage ratings...............
you cannot get the same sound exactly (from the seventies...).
but try to find out if it was a cheap elcap or a high quality cap that was used in the circuit.then you change them to "nowadays types",e.g. panasonic su or so for the cheap..........
and panasonic fc/fm or so for the better ones..........
greetings............

I got similar problem finding older capacitor values.
Lately I found interesting website with hard to find stuff and current ones. I like their capacitors search tool. Check it out at

http://www.tedss.com/Capacitors/

d5post – I checked, each value from your list is available there. Type in capacitance in Capacitance box and click FIND button. It will show you a lis of different capacitors types available to choose from, really cool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.