Where to find nice Amp cases in Canada ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2009, 04:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where to find nice Amp cases in Canada ?

Hi all!

Im looking for nice Amp cases that i can buy in Canada.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 6th April 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

It depends what "nice" is.

I built a couple of amps using Hammond chassis boxes, 17"x4"x[?], and put 5.25x19" rack front panels on them with chrome handles. Panels were bolted to the chassis with 1/4" stainless socket-head cap screws. One front panel was painted dayglo orange and dripping black, and the other dayglo blue. Someone with different tastes in design might "engine-turn" or satin finish an aluminum panel and clear-coat it, or have it anodized. Or leave it ASA61 grey and use "chickenhead" knobs. I wouldn't describe this as a cheap option... those various Hammond components (case, cover, panel, handles) add up.

Lee's Electronics in Vancouver has some nice-looking imported cases, but I've never bought any so can't vouch for how solid they are.

Recycling the cases from obsolete equipment can be a cheap option. Really rusty stuff from barns can be cleaned up with an electrolytic de-rusting bath; it also loosens paint. (Google electrolytic rust removal...)

Visit local ham (amateur radio) swap meets... you could find unused cases or old gear to recycle.

Coming up with a good case has stalled my Leach amp progress; the size and weight of the transformers is a problem. I've considered fabricating a frame out of steel tubing, then skinning it with perforated or louvered sheet metal.
Old 6th April 2009, 10:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dangus!

I mean by nice : http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat079_l2.php?n=1

Only prob i have with those is the shipping cost..ouch$

There is on store in US: http://www.par-metal.com/, but again you can see that is not the same quality.

I will go for cheaper options, but from what im about to put in that amp i think it need a good and nice looking case.
Old 9th April 2009, 09:06 PM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I see... the Modushop case is very nice, especially with the integrated heat sink sides. That's a feature that's rarely available in an off-the-shelf industrial case.

Maybe there's some heatsink extrusion available from a supplier like Thermalloy or Aavid that could become the sides of a case if you're willing to do some cutting, drilling and tapping.

Or maybe this is one of those times you have to say, "It's only money" and just go for it.

Hide this!Advertise here!