Converting 50Hz to 60Hz??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2009, 02:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Converting 50Hz to 60Hz???

Hi DIYers
I have a Sony US turntable running at 60Hz and I am looking to convert the power from 50Hz (Australia) to 60 Hz. I dont know if there is a DIY solution. (I already have a step down transformer to convert the voltage). Perhaps there is a reasonably priced kit ready to go? Or maybe I am just dreaming
I like the turntable and would like to start using it again I certainly want a solution that is also safe.
thanks
(let me know if I have posted in right part of the forum)
Old 3rd April 2009, 03:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have a Sony TT and it has sync marks for 50 and 60Hz. Is yours one of those?

If not, I think you would have less trouble by converting it to a DC motor. Then use a 317 to vary the speed (or be fancy and have a PLL).

Cheers!
Old 3rd April 2009, 03:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Gregg
Thanks for your reply. It doesnt have any strobe marks for 50/60 hz. It is the PS-X60 and it is a very solid performer. A feature of this TT is its existing BSL motor http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s...X60/PSX60.html
I will have a chat to my electrical engineer friend and see which of your suggestions he can implement with ease
Old 3rd April 2009, 03:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

buy, build, borrow a suitably sized audio amplifier and drive it with a 60hz sine source.

- suitably sized = enough power output to drive the TT motor
- a simple sine wave osc should not be very difficult to build. - just google...

the difficult part will probably be to make sure the amp can handle the load impedance of the motor. depending on what that is, it shouldn't be too bad... (speakers are just a motor anyway...)
Old 3rd April 2009, 04:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK, mine is a PS-T15.

eclectic2k's advice can work, but motors are HUGELY inductive loads that may destabilize the amp.

Cheers!
Old 3rd April 2009, 04:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
OK, mine is a PS-T15.

eclectic2k's advice can work, but motors are HUGELY inductive loads that may destabilize the amp.

Cheers!
Who said it'd be easy

actually, I have a hard time believing that there is not some adjustment that might make the 'table work on 50Hz. My old yamaha has a speed adjust that can be used to tweak the speed of the motor. I suppose it probably can't make up for the missing 10 cycles (probably can tune +/- a few %, not 20%)

But if it does have some adjustment, you might be able to crack open the turntable ad tweak the circuit - assuming the AC isn't wired straight to the motor...??
Old 3rd April 2009, 05:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Must determine some details to start off with,
1) AC or DC drive motor?
If AC motor, fastest fix is to get hold of a pure sinewave inverter.
If DC motor, then have to look for solution else where....
2) Pulley driven?
If belt+pulley mechanism then reduce the total gear ratio... some how...

Hope this help.

Cheers

Ken
Old 5th April 2009, 09:20 PM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

A 60Hz inverter and a 12V power supply? Maybe a computer supply would do the job. A small (75W or so) inverter off eBay should be cheap. I don't know if they're usually crystal controlled, though. Now, these inverters aren't a true sine wave, so that might be a problem.
Old 5th April 2009, 09:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

So, what happens when you run it on 50Hz? My guess is it will be just fine without any conversion.
Old 5th April 2009, 09:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This is a direct drive turntable with a DC motor, it doesn't care what the Ac line frequency is.

Hide this!Advertise here!