How to use this capacitor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a few piece of capacitor as shown in the pic :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the centre pin suppose to be 'positive' and the 3 pins attached to the aluminium can is suppose to be 'negative'? can anyone confirm?

i need to connect these caps to a negative rail. is it ok to connect the -ve voltage to the pin which is also the aluminium can?

I've seen some similar ones in some old Philips CD players (CD150, CD350). The case was negative, centre pin positive on the ones I saw too.

There is no electrical reason not to use them to decouple a negitive supply, but you might want to put an insulating sleeve over is, like appropriate sized heatshrink.

I would not use a polar cap without polarity markings or a datasheet.

See, if you put it in in reverse and load it with large currents you risc that the cap explodes or that at least the body is deformed.

As the cap is already very old (10years+), why use not a new one? Or is it a magical type?

Have fun, Hannes

h_a said:
I would not use a polar cap without polarity markings or a datasheet.

See, if you put it in in reverse and load it with large currents you risc that the cap explodes or that at least the body is deformed.

As the cap is already very old (10years+), why use not a new one? Or is it a magical type?

Have fun, Hannes

Hi h_a, i am very sure that the case is -ve. but usually the -ve pole of caps does not connect to casing. if it is used in a +ve rail, the casing would go to ground, which leave nothing to worry about. however, i am going to use these in my -ve rails, hence the can will be connected to a voltage....so i wonder if this is appropriate.

i got these caps new, unused....are they that old?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.