alternative connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at this old thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66561
Steve Eddy was bringing up the point why use RCAs as interconnects, it is a terrible plug. I have a couple of my first DIY projects in the works and I was thinking, "Well, if I am going to learn to make my own cables why not put a different interconnect on any of my DIY components"? You can always have an RCA on one side and then whatever on the other for connecting with standard equipment.

Have you used any alternate connectors on your projects and how do you like them?
Steve was recommending Redel connectors. I couldn't find pricing on them but the other stuff made by Lemo is pretty darn expensive (I am cheap).
One person was also asking about the basic 5 pin DIN or what about computer connectors?

Please share. :)

Thanks,
Don

dvenardos said:
XLR is one of the options I was looking at, although, most of the ones that I was looking at are three pin, Do you guys like XLRs?
XLR are all 3 wire, ie 2 plus shield.
They are great for audio and balanced is hard to beat for an extra boost in S/N ratio (+6dB over SE). They are really good in single ended mode ( psuedo differential) as well.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dvenardos said:
Steve was recommending Redel connectors. I couldn't find pricing on them but the other stuff made by Lemo is pretty darn expensive (I am cheap).

That is what Allen Wright also recommends and uses. Pricing (10-$13 each) is not more expensive than "good" RCAs, and a lot less than premium ones that they probably out perform.

dave

Hi SY,

SY said:
I have been sorely tempted by those little gold RF jobs that I see used in a lot of wireless routers...

There should be plenty of dead ones around for scavenging. Might be an experiment!

My only concern with those is they are usually designed for < 100 insertions, according to some spec sheets :bigeyes:

Cheers!

those are the ones in wifi antennas. most of them are rated for 100 connects. so if you plan to connect it and leave it there for years etc, I think it will work nicely since the noise ratio is really low. but if you are always moving things around, I'd think twice. Also, there is a limit to the gauge of wire you can use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.