alternative connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finding Coax for the SM series connectors isn't hard. RG-174 is one I can think of off the top of my head. The SMA are most probably going to be the most rugged and have the longest life span, due to being a thread on connector. SM connectors are very common in RF applications and in production semiconductor equipment. So if you want to try some experimenting with them first, you should be able to find surplus cables and connectors from used equipment pretty easily.
I do like the idea of XLR for balanced apps, but look up the wiring convention to keep with the rest of the world. BNC is definitely a nice one for SE signals.

Peace,

Dave

I daresay the cable is not as common as regular RG, though.

True, but the cable available is usually of extremely high quality. There is some stuff from Lucent that I play with that is foil over braid with silver plated center - fortunately I occasionally get cutoffs .

I think the RF stuff SMA,SMB SMXYZ) would certainly be superior. You can get most of it in 75ohm for those that are anal about their SPDIF too.

The issue is that it is so unorthodox for audio.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.