Problem with capacitance multiplier power supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2009, 07:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Problem with capacitance multiplier power supply

I've built a capacitance multiplier power supply for testing/learning/measuring and Its not quite working right.

The circuit is the from here and looks like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm getting 58.3 volts across the rectifier, 29.1V across the filter caps. From Gnd to -Ve I get
-26.8V, but from gnd to +Ve I only get 8.1v. I have tried the circuit with 2N3055's at Q3 & Q4 and with MJ15003's but the voltages are similar

The pages says I should adjust VR for 3v across the pass transistors - I get 21V across Q3 and 2.2V across Q4

I suspect this circuit was designed with a lower voltage secondary and that the resistor values will need to be adjusted to reflect this. I'm hoping for some guidance before I dive in. I have been looking at this page as a reference as well.

Cheers
Old 17th March 2009, 07:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check the voltage at the base of Q1 and at its emmiter.
Old 17th March 2009, 03:15 PM   #3
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

You haven't tried to run that without load, have you?

Have fun, Hannes

PS: didn't check resistor values, but without load it's not going to work.
Old 17th March 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi

I have built capacitance multipliers that are similar to those in the first circuit that Rod Elliot shows and they work.

I have not tried the layout shown in figure 2. However in figure 2 the relationship between Q2/Q4 the pass transistor does not seem right.

Don
Old 17th March 2009, 09:42 PM   #5
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

hello.
perhaps you have changed r5 with r3 or so.............
greetings.............
Old 18th March 2009, 03:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Samuel: I'll measure the voltage at the base of Q1 and its emitter tonight,

h_a: ahh, ya I guess I was testing without a load. I do have some 5, 10, and 20 ohm 50W resistors. When you say it's not going to work without a load, can you be more specific? I do measure 29.1 volts at the -Ve side which is about what I would expect. It's just the +Ve side that I'm having a problem with.

mjf: I have checked the wiring about 6 different times, on 6 different days - I'm reasonably certain that the wiring is correct. On both sides of the circuit I have the 6.8k resistor going to the 5k pot. I also verified that the wiper of the pot is connected correctly on both sides.

on the outside chance that I did something to the BD139 I replace it as well but the voltages do not change. I also swapped the pass transistors to see if the problem followed them but it did not.
Old 18th March 2009, 07:59 PM   #7
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

hello.
you can compare the voltage values of the working neg. side with the voltages of the pos. side............that should show the flaw.......(draw it in a schematic).
greetings.............
Old 18th March 2009, 08:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mjf
hello.
you can compare the voltage values of the working neg. side with the voltages of the pos. side............that should show the flaw.......(draw it in a schematic).
greetings.............
Hello to you mjf,

Great idea, I'll do that tonight as well!

-John
Old 19th March 2009, 03:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ok, I have attached the schematic with some voltages on it (without load for now until I find my big resistors). I think I may try build the first circuit on that page just for comparison to see if the results are different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jlhcapmultfig2-with-voltages.jpg (56.0 KB, 276 views)
Old 19th March 2009, 04:09 AM   #10
kaos is offline kaos  United States
diyAudio Member

The 20.8 V across Q4 doesnít make sense relative to your other measurements, Iím guessing a typo? 27.3 V on the emitter of Q1 and 8 V on the emitter of Q3 sort of narrows it down to a faulty connection or trace at Q3, or a bad Q3. Any chance the base and emitter are interchanged on Q3 (easy to do on a TO-3 package thatís been hand wired)? I'm assuming nothing's getting hot.

Hide this!Advertise here!