Tandberg Caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2009, 08:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tandberg Caps

Hi. I've just recently started fixing up some of my audio gear that's been sitting unused for decades - I know ... bad me, but other things got in the way.

Anyway, one of these items is a Tandberg 64x. (I've also got a 6000x and another one on the way). I went through the 64x transport today - it is perfect, the machine was barely ever used so it is really pretty and fun to work on. I have all the factory tools but the mechanical alignments are great so they'll stay in their box.

What I really need is to replace the coupling and cathode bypass caps - although there is some sound on playing back tape, it is much attenuated and high-passed and one channel has really bad microphonics and intermittent but dramatic "pops".

My question is does anyone know of a good store in the SF/SJ Bay Area (Northern California) where I'm likely to be able to pick up the assorted electrolytic and poly caps I'll need? I'm not into "tweaky" caps - just as good as original is fine for me.

Thanks in advance!

John Falconer

Hide this!Advertise here!