Is this Oscilloscope suitable for DIY Ampbuilding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
The bandwidth looks ok - but that bit depth being only 8 bits might be a bit of a problem. Looks like an OK general prupose starter scope that will work for most things audio - but with that bit depth trying to nail things down to a nat's behind might prove to be a challange. You can get some pretty decent used scopes for $400 over on flea-bay or other used equipment web sites.

c2cthomas said:

Plus - Tektronix is the king of good scopes (with a couple of exceptions).

I beg to differ. The company I work for used to have lots of Teks but bad experiences with them and their overpriced but slow service department has changed all that. We once got a digital video signal generator back which suffered damage during shipment (some BNC's were pushed in). The service technician that came had the nerve to ask us if he could borrow a HAMMER! He was planning to hammer the BNC's back in place...can you imagine that??? Suffice to say we sent this "technician" away with the damaged equipment to have it repaired properly.

And maybe we had the "couple of exceptions" you talk about... Competitors like Agilent, LeCroy, Magni, Rhode & Schwarz and Leader have taken over the Teks' places.
About someone's remark of the inability of HP (= Agilent now) to trigger, that's something of the past. Modern Agilents will trigger just fine now.

My personal preference with analogue signals is a Fluke/Philips hybrid scope: an analogue scope with a few digital functions...

I did some research on Owon and wasn't impressed based on the reviews I saw form the web.

You might want to look into Rigol if you want a decent low price scope. They cost a bit more but have better reputation and more real digital scrope functions. Rumor has that they OEM some of the low end Aglient stuffs.

Digital scope is really good for troubleshooting intermittent issues. They also have math/measurement features built in which could be a time saver. FFT is nice too.

However, low price DSO still doesn't have same kind of resolution of an analog scope and some time the lack of resolution could be misleading.

DSO is a nice to have, but I am really happy with my Tek 7904a and all the plug-ins.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.