fet help please 2SK135

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so I am going to try the mosfet power supply mod to a scrap Dynaco st120. I know the amp is more or less garbage but it is cheap and fun to work with. I have tried many times with this power supply upgrade but keep falling short on regulated voltage. I have checked and re-checked a dozen times the circuit and have found small errors and fixed. My voltage is to low, about 58v on cap 12 when I should have about 70v or so. The control zenner is fine but I changed it just to be sure a couple times. I have also changed the FET a couple times with the same result. This is what I have that is not working, any advice would be nice. I am having problems finding a sub for a 2SK135 and that is why I used the IRF241 and it has a nice TO3 case that I like.

FET used IRF241 which should work right?
Now I admit I cheeped out on the rectifiers and used NTE components, could this be a cause?. They are NTE588 a 200v/3a ultra fast and should work perfect.

I think my entire problem lies with the FET being used which on paper should fit nice but in reality is not giving me the regulated voltage I need.

fyi cap 12 3300uf@100v
cap 9 and 11 500uf@100v and 1000uf@100v
diode 4,5,7,8, 200prv@3amp.
cap 16 .01@1kv.

I have this supply built exactly like the one in the pic, I have built it many times the exact same way and have never reached anything over 60v on cap 12.

yep that the pinout I used all along, still get 98v on cap 12. I have to check some other component values but I am sure it is all right. I might have to make my own pcb as I just can't trust the original pcb even though I checked it now about 5-6 times to make sure I got it right. To many traces not being used it is a little confusing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.