Looking for transistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2003, 02:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: usa
Default Looking for transistors

I am looking for some of those big plastic case transistors that are completely encased in plastic so as not to have to use insulator gaskets. I need them for the output stage of a power amp. (bipolar) Does anyone know the numbers of any of this type of transistor? What is the case type? Thanks so much for your help.
Where there is smoke....there is fire. (usually one of my circuits)
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 03:15 PM   #2
MikeW is offline MikeW  United States
diyAudio Member
MikeW's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: North of Boston
The parts you are looking for are to-264 packages. They still need an insulator between the transistor and the heatsink. On Semi has the MLJ21193,21194 and the MJL3281,1302. Look at Digikey, Future, and Mouser for prices.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 03:21 PM   #3
rMa is offline rMa  Finland
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rauma, Finland
Hi willy,

I'm not sure what you mean by big but one type used by ST is TO-220FP. BD241BFP and BD242BFP are one example of their isolated type complementary pair.

I think ISOWATT220 is also commonly used name for this package.

- rMa -
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2003, 05:06 PM   #4
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Torrance, Calif
Default MJ 10051

I have a large stock of Motorola MJ 10051
BiPolar Transistors. They are 850Volts 50Amps
They roughly are about 2" Square and are NPN
The case is a 346-01
Price...... $3.95ea

Steve @ Apex Jr
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2003, 05:33 PM   #5
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member
blmn's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: .

Actually you will find some devices in ISOWATT style (fully isolated devices).

I made, sometime ago, an amp using the NPN/PNP pair TIP33/34CF, where the F means fully isolated, made by CDIL. They might have other fully isolated power devices available.

But you have to be aware of the power dissipation questions when using this type of packages in high power applications.

Except if you have some special application or problem wich make the insulators use not possible, I think you must consider the traditional non-isolated device plus insulator mounting.

  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old RCA transistors- what are they? needtubes Parts 13 23rd July 2012 09:43 PM
what transistors to use? prorms Solid State 1 20th November 2006 05:14 PM
Best transistors YUTK Solid State 1 20th May 2005 04:16 PM
transistors Dj BASS AMP Solid State 1 31st March 2003 04:46 PM
transistors lemondog Swap Meet 5 1st March 2002 07:05 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:06 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2