Need a little help with wiring a relay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This might sound a little whacky, but I'm building a music server inside of an old Philco radio case. This is the third I've made actually, but I'm trying to get a bit more sophisticated with my wiring.

Inside the shell will be a mini-itx based computer and an amp. I only want one power cord and one power switch and I want the amp to power on with the computer.

Can I do this by wiring in 120vac relay with a 12v coil and using the (unneeded) 4pin molex on my PSU as the trigger? I have a rotary momentary switch to power on the computer. Would I would just need to wire the mains power into a block and route the hot, ground, and common wires properly from there?

it will work, but chances are that the amp will turn off after the computer does which might make a noise.

just remember to put a diode in parallel with the coil, reversed, this will protect your PSU against the reverse voltage spike that the coil produced at switch-off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.