Budget Active nearfeild monitor: Edifier R1200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I have purchased a cheap cheap active speaker system for only CAD$56, the Edifier R1200. It's intended use is as a nearfeild monitor for my computer. Let me tell you about the R1200:

-5/8" real MDF enclosure (not fibre board like most cheap speakers)
-very good build quality
-4" coated paper/fabric (not exactly sure) woofer with foam surround
-3/4" fabric dome tweeter with large surround roll
-crossover consists of an electrolytic cap across the tweeter
-two inputs, input A has some high freq EQ applied
-input stage is a single op-amp NE5532
-only controls are volume and bass
-amp is a TDA7269 and is powered by a +/- 12V transformer rated at 1.15A

Surprisingly, this cheap speaker system doesn't sound terrible, but doesn't exactly sound fantastic either. So what DIY modifications can be done to make this better? I would like this system to still act and behave as stock when modifications are complete, so...

First things first:
-add stuffing to the enclosure, and maybe cut a couple of dowels for braces
-modify the input circuit to remove the EQ on input A

I was thinking to replace the amp with a Tripath TA2024 amp. The transformer is really not suitable for this, so I was thinking of an external SMPS. This would also remove the mass displaced by the internal transformer. However, I still need a negative supply to power the op-amp for the input circuit. So I thought to use something simple like this.

These modifications should be fairly simple for me as I already have the TA2024 amp, and a 12V LCD monitor SMPS that has worked well with the Tripath amp for the past few years. I'll just build the -12V supply on perfboard and glue it to the inside of the cabinet.

The tricky part becomes what to do with the speakers? I could just replace them with something else, and design a proper crossover. I would like to go the cheapest route initially and improve the crossover, but unfortunately don't have the ability to measure frequency response. I can measure impedance however, so should be able to get a starting point by measuring impedance of the tweeter with no cap, and with cap to see just what is being done electrically...

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.