Duct Seal in the UK - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2009, 05:00 PM   #1
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Default Duct Seal in the UK

Hi,

I'm building some 3 way open baffle speakers (still at the parts gathering stage) and would like to try using Duct Seal on my mid and woofer frames.

Can anyone tell me where to buy it cheaply in the UK? Or can anyone confirm this product - http://www.geocel.co.uk/product.aspx...&pt=genconseal - is the right stuff to use?

Thanks,
Simon
Old 17th February 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

other than giving them (Geocel) a call to find your nearest stockist, I did find this which is close.

HTH
Old 17th February 2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I think you want something that is putty like in nature not something from a caulk tube. Try looking for duct seal putty. Here is the first that came up in google.

http://www.rainbowtech.net/catalog.php?pid=4035&cat=1
Old 18th February 2009, 02:27 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Cal is the 1st to find something suitable... my preferred brand is Ideal ~ $3 CAD here.

http://www.idealindustries.com/produ.../duct_seal.jsp

see attached

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png idealuk.png (23.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 18th February 2009, 10:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

As I was passing B&Q (a DIY super-store) on Monday I looked in there and the best I could find was Plumber's Mait, which is probably not quite right - http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14477/...er-s-Mait-750g

Dave,

I'll give Ideal UK a ring or send them an e-mail and ask where I can buy that, many thanks.

Simon

edit: I've e-mailed them, let's see what they can do. A UK-only search on Google returns nothing.
Old 18th February 2009, 05:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well Ideal put me in touch with a company called Aeroparts International Limited. They gave me a quote but the shipping is 10, minimum order is 10 pieces (1lb or 5lb bag) and lead-time is 4-6 weeks.

If I could find even a couple of interested parties I'd buy 10x 1lb bags and re-sell a couple to make the acquisition a bit less painful.

I do rather want to use what Dave / Planet_10 does as it looks good and anything else will be unknown and possibly just messy or ineffective.

Should I try starting a group buy thread for UK DIYers or is that silly for such a product??

Simon
Old 18th February 2009, 06:34 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
the best I could find was Plumber's Mait, which is probably not quite right -
If same or similar to the plumber's putty i tried, it doesn't stick very well and doesn't stay soft longterm, I had to pull it off after a year or so and replace it.

dave
Old 18th February 2009, 06:48 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Well Ideal put me in touch with a company called Aeroparts International Limited. They gave me a quote but the shipping is 10, minimum order is 10 pieces (1lb or 5lb bag) and lead-time is 4-6 weeks.

If I could find even a couple of interested parties I'd buy 10x 1lb bags and re-sell a couple to make the acquisition a bit less painful.
That means they likely have to order it in from the US. With 4-6 week lead time, i could stick some surface mail (i have at least 25 pounds here) and it would get there as fast. I'd ship as little as a half-pound (or the amount that is 500 g max to meet the cheap post limit, 1 kg, 2 kg are the other notches)

http://canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices...-e.asp#1414508 (column 2)

What do they want per pound?

It is also possible to tuck some in with shipments regularily headed to the UK,

dave
Old 18th February 2009, 11:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
What do they want per pound?
Dave,

It's very kind of you to offer to send some. They want 2.75 each lb pack. Ex vat, so about 3.20 or just under $6CAD in total (ex postage though!).

Simon
Old 19th February 2009, 01:00 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
It's very kind of you to offer to send some. They want 2.75 each lb pack. Ex vat, so about 3.20 or just under $6CAD in total (ex postage though!).
So a bit less than double what i pay... worthwhile then if i'm shipping something else, or if you only want a bit.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!