Duct Seal in the UK - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2009, 09:05 AM   #11
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

So a bit less than double what i pay... worthwhile then if i'm shipping something else, or if you only want a bit.

dave
If you're willing to post <500g to me I'll take that offer. Is that plenty to do two 8" midwoofers? Eminence Beta 8A...

Thanks,
Simon
Old 19th February 2009, 09:56 AM   #12
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Is your aim to stick it on baskets for damping, or to seal the mounting face? If the former have you considered proper damping panels cut to size? I'm sure you could get some offcuts of really good butyl based damping material from a car audio enthusiast.
Old 19th February 2009, 09:58 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi Rich, I haven't considered butyl, is that a type of rubber?

I have plenty of adhesive bitumen, but that doesn't always stay on frames so well and I fancied trying something more substantial...

Yes - the aim is to damp the basket/frame of drivers, initially.

Simon
Old 19th February 2009, 10:32 AM   #14
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

One of the biggest pros of proper car damping panels is they stick better than generic bitumen pads, are thicker and their composition (the best are a butyl substrate) damp better than bitumen too.

Have a look at Second Skin Damplifier Pro and see if you can get some offcuts from a good car audio dealer.
Old 19th February 2009, 08:09 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The damping pads are OK for damping but can't get into the crevices or shape the exit like you can with ductseal.

I'd be happy to send some. I have too do up 4 FE206s, let me actually calibrate how much is needed. Can you post a pic of the back of the drivers?

dave
Old 19th February 2009, 10:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Here we go.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beta8a.jpg (89.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 20th February 2009, 08:24 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
Here we go.

Simon
That looks like it will have about the same ductseal footprint as a 206, so it should be a good reference.

dave
Old 20th February 2009, 08:42 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
One of the biggest pros of proper car damping panels is they stick better than generic bitumen pads, are thicker and their composition (the best are a butyl substrate) damp better than bitumen too.

Have a look at Second Skin Damplifier Pro and see if you can get some offcuts from a good car audio dealer.
Interesting, I'd be tempted to try some in my car at some point, do you use the stuff?

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

That looks like it will have about the same ductseal footprint as a 206, so it should be a good reference.

dave
Excellent. Hit me with a cost when you're ready, and I'm in no hurry whatsoever with this. I still have to construct my baffles

Simon
Old 20th February 2009, 09:15 PM   #19
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
Interesting, I'd be tempted to try some in my car at some point, do you use the stuff?
I've just got a new motor and will be fitting the Second Skin Speaker Kit which includes a Deflex-style dissipative panel and deadening.
Old 21st February 2009, 12:57 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy

I've just got a new motor and will be fitting the Second Skin Speaker Kit which includes a Deflex-style dissipative panel and deadening.
I've always wondered about the efficacy of Deflex pads. I'd love to hear your verdict of these new panels. What car you got btw?

Hide this!Advertise here!