Favorite size wire for signal wiring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:
0.50MM GOLD PLATED COPPER WIRE SOFT, Ref: GP0500S-500

From TubeCad Journal:
If any of the parts have gold-plated leads, remove the gold flash before soldering the part, as only a few molecules of gold will poison a solder joint. Use sandpaper or a solder pot. NASA forbids any gold-contaminated solder joints; you should as well. (Yes, there are many quality parts with gold-flashed leads, but the use of gold is a marketing device, not sound electrical engineering practice.)

I use 26g solid core teflon wire from ebay (John's silver wire shop, or something). I like solid core as it is easier to work with than stranded in that it stays where you put it, and I like teflon as it doesn't melt. The 26 is because it is what he has. For higher current, I'll try to track down some 20g wire.

Tweeker said:
Apexjr carries solid core silver plated copper teflon insulated wire in #20 and #22.

That's what I use. 22. Only problem is my newer stripper doesn't work on it since the insulation is so thin. It's one of those one-step tools. So I use the standard stripper now to score the insulation then pull it off manually. Some use the hot-filament type for stripping but I don't have that. Apex also has shielded teflon wire but the core is not solid IIRC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.