help jupiter beeswax caps direction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Tomcat,

Generally, if the cap is connected to circuit ground, you should put outside foil to ground. Otherwise I put it on whichever circuit node has a lower impedance, but if there are other issues like stray signals causing problems, you may have to try both ways.

Good luck, and have fun.

Mike

Hi Tomat,

First, please accept my humble apology for messing up your name in my first reply, sometimes my fingers type things they shouldn't.

I'm assuming you are using a non-polar cap, so let's think for a moment about this particular application. The anode of the output tube should be loaded by at least ten times its inherent impedance by general rule of thumb. That being the case, the lower impedance node of the circuit path would be the tube's anode, so that is where the foil end of the cap should go, generally speaking. However, having said that, it's probably not that important in the long run. If you can easily try it both ways, that's what I'd do, it may sound better one direction over the other. And if I'm assuming wrongly about it being non-polar, then you must connect the positve terminal of the cap to the anode.

By the way, the only silly question is one that isn't asked, we all have to learn some way, right?

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.