Source for 3.5mm phone jack? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default Source for 3.5mm phone jack?

I am installing an audio input jack to be used with the factory stereo in my '94 Chevy pickup. I have successfully wired the jack so that the audio input works, but it requires a separate circuit to be closed so that the stereo will accept audio from the jack and mute the radio.

I would like to have a system that will close that circuit automatically whenever a plug is inserted in the jack, instead of having the manually flip a separate switch. I am told that jacks with isolated, integrated switches do exist, but I have not been able to find any on the web.

Specifically, I am looking for a 3.5mm stereo phone jack that has an integrated, isolated switch that is closed when a plug is inserted. Got a source?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: N38
I have never seen one of these jacks with a completly isolated switch. I do know of one with NC contacts for all three conductors. Perhaps there is a way to make it work for your application?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2009, 03:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
I am working with a factory radio that requires a separate 12V circuit to be closed before it will use the audio signal from the jack. Is there a way I can put 12V through any one of these switches that will complete a circuit only when something is plugged in and not affect the sound?

I'm not an audio tech guy, but I found this idea while I was reading the Wikipedia article on TRS connectors. (If it's on Wikipedia, it must be true, right? ) Close to the bottom of that article, under the heading "Configurations and schematic symbols," there is a diagram showing the type of jack I'd like to have (C).
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009, 02:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: N38
I believe the connector mentioned on Wikipedia exists, but you may have trouble finding it. Good luck in your search. If you don't find it, maybe you could try using the Schurter connector with a relay, see attached circuit.

- Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circuit.jpg (23.7 KB, 72 views)
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Source for RCA panel mount jack dine1967 Parts 2 2nd July 2009 12:10 AM
2 Mono Jack to Female Stereo Jack JellyMan Everything Else 2 27th May 2008 03:39 PM
Quality Headphone ( Phone ) Jack , 1/4" and 3.5mm ? DrDeville Headphone Systems 13 31st January 2007 02:50 AM
making dual mono jack from single mono jack dubmunkey Analog Line Level 2 12th October 2006 02:16 PM
Head Phone AMp / Mic jleaman Everything Else 3 14th April 2006 04:48 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2