Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2009, 03:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Colescuttle
Default Current status of Victoria Magnetics?

I've tried through the contact info. I can find. No luck.

George
Old 10th February 2009, 04:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi George,
I spoke with John Snowden of Victoria Magnetics a couple months ago. He told me that he
was no longer in the transformer business. The cost of materials made it hard for him to make
any money at it.
Old 10th February 2009, 11:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks.

Oh, well. I guess it has to be a standard Plitron for 300VA, 20-0-20. Although, with shipping, they're quite costly and I'll have to go the diy route for EMI and RFI shielding.

George
Old 10th February 2009, 11:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Why do you not take a look at Antek. They have a very good selection and service is fabulous. I have bought 5 transformers from them and been quite pleased.
Tad
Old 11th February 2009, 10:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Wow!

Thanks, Tad.

Those prices are almost too good to be true. You've had no problems with secondary voltage, overheating, vibration or current sagging under load? If not, I'll order a pair right away.

George
Old 11th February 2009, 10:18 PM   #6
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Wow!

indeed ...

if only they could be convinced to make r-core transformers ...
sigh ...

mlloyd1

Quote:
Originally posted by Colescuttle
... Those prices are almost too good to be true ...
Old 12th February 2009, 10:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Colescuttle,
I have purchased one Avel transformer, a big name brand, for my first chipamp, 625va, and 3 1kva from Antek for my Leach and A-75. I also bought 2 50va for the frontend circuit. To date I can tell no difference in the Antek trannies from the Avel. They do not hum or get hot. One nice thing about the Antek units is they give you a couple of extra incidental voltage windings which are quite handy. They also arrive in about 2 days here in U.S. Good folks.
I try to buy a little on the large size for my projects because the extra power costs so little extra. This alleviates most of the problems one encounters. If you build a little can to cover the trannies and insulate you will also have some benefits. I usually cut down a old coffee can and use it. Works nice.

I might be wrong here but I believe most of the AFFORDABLE transformers we use are built overseas anyway. Plitrons and a few others are hundreds more in cost which is what happens when things are built in this part of the world. They are nice. I just can not afford them.

Parts Express has a pretty decent assortment of Avel trannies.

Tad
Old 12th February 2009, 10:57 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Are the R-core designs really that much of an improvement? I really like the way they look. Heck I would still buy standard old style transformers if they were cheap.

Now if we could get the winding specs for the Mcintosh MC3500 amp I would have to try winding my own. I really would like one of those monsters. Just to see what $20,000 PER CHANNEL sounds like.

Tad

Hide this!Advertise here!