ESR meter schematic - Look at this and tell me.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ESR meter schematic - Look at this and tell me..

http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/esrmeter.html

I built this one, its a simple ESR meter for testing elyts.

Im not sure in wich unit the caps are writen out in.
All the values are there im not just sure if it is in
pF nF or uF..

Schematic and PCB files on the bottom of the page.

Anyone built something like this?
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Those caps are all written out to be "uf " .
Looks like he used ceramic caps except for C5 (1uf film type), and C7 (10uf) has a polarity marking, and means electrolytic or tantalum type.
In the proto board photo, it is a tantalum.

=R=
Old 6th February 2009, 01:44 AM   #3
Cliff45 is offline Cliff45  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello all-

I also looked at this particular ESR meter project, and liked the general idea the designer used and the specs given for it. After careful consideration, I decided to go with the Peak Electronics Model ESR60 ESR tester. I thought that it offered excellent accuracy and repeatability of measurements vs. the analog metering on the other unit. I also was intrigued by the super-low resistance testing capabilities The ESR60 unit offered, which I found to be useful in detecting circuit board shorts and other hard-to-find issues. The money spent for the Atlas ESR60 unit plus all its associated features and documentation has proven to be a good investment for me. I do a lot of in-circuit testing on power supply problems with this beauty, and it has never let me down yet! I also own a Sencore LC77 capacitor/inductor tester, which I find useful for testing high-voltage capacitors out of circuit.

FWIW - A good list of ESR testers is here, but it feels rather "biased" towards the units that the reviewer is selling: AnaTek ESR Meter Comparison

I hope someone possibly finds this info helpful to them!!

Hide this!Advertise here!