how to wire VU meter on amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That meter is hilarious! The Chinese must be ripping off Nelson in high style to have to make clone meters.

There's a chance these are current meters like in Nelson's X amps. Wouldn't VU meters have their indicator arms resting to the left side when off? These seem to sit at the midpoint to show current in one direction or the other.

-David

Speaking as an Aleph-X owner I must admit that it seems strange looking at these things sitting there up for sale. How many of us owners would want such a distraction? I sure don't. How many of us would even know how to make it do anything useful? I sure don't. How many of us are going to buy these? I sure won't.

Graeme

Netlist said:
Best to wire it between the + and - of the power supply.
The higher the voltage, the nicer the swing of the meter.

hi Netlist

is it on primary or secondary side of the power supply?

hi all

when i buy this thing to fun, i got no idea if this is fake or not. we get what we pay for. if this is fake one then certainly wont last or maybe wont work. we will know when i received it

plus i am new to diy. hence anything thats fake or not i dont know of it. i do not even know how much aleph-x stuff worth that at this price its consider fake. i just know that those meter looks like an old amp indicator for music is playing without the need to hook up the speaker. hence i jump on the bid and its cheap. i wont lose my sleep if i toast it tho. there is also some wima caps 20pcs for only $2 starting bid. is this consider fake as well? who knows.

thx for the help guys and happy listening

I don't see any way this meter could be useful for audio, with its "centre-zero" design - other than as a tuning meter.

There were some Philips portable record player in the 1960s - when stereo was a new thing - that had left/right meters on them to tell you visually which channel most sound was comming from! Hardly useful.

The ad give no indication whatsoever of its FSD current, so you don't know if its in the region of microamps or amps - that makes it impossible to predict how it could be used.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have two of these Aleph X meters. It was a total impulse buy for $5.

I put a 1.5V AA battery across it and it pegged the meter to one side, It also reads around 800ohm across the terminals with my crappy voltmeter, so it could be a standard 600 ohm meter.

I guess I could use it across the emitter resistor (.666V), but it will read to one side and not vacillate to the music, but that may just be OK...

I will need to check if it will read AC, if so may just in parallel to one speaker output?

Eiether way, may just lead it unhooked, and drill a hole inside bottom for a blue LED. It would t least serve me as a power- on indicator...

Sorry for the lame question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.