Re-terminating a XLR cable with RCA connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to re-terminate an Audioquest XLR cable with RCA connectors.
There are 4 conductors in this cable, pin 1,2,3 and shield. The plan
is to connect #2 to RCA tip, #1 and 3 to RCA sleeve, and the shield at the source only. Is this the right way to do it?
These are silver cables. WBT silver solder good for this? Any other suggestion? TIA.

With RCA connectors there's not too much you can do. Your proposal is sound using the shield to prevent hum/EMI coupling.

Personally, I'd double up conductors on the signal/tip to reduce cable impedance but the difference should be negligible.

Remember that the benefit of breaking the shield at one end is an attempt to force main leakage currents through the safety ground. The RCA defeats this by shorting the chassis' through the sleeve conductor.

This won't do much unless you have a floating RCA driven from a differential output into a floating RCA driving a balanced input. In which case you're better off with XLR:(

You mean connectors 1, 2 to RCA tip, 3 to sleeve?
Attached are pictures of the cable in question.

Iain McNeill said:
With RCA connectors there's not too much you can do. Your proposal is sound using the shield to prevent hum/EMI coupling.

Personally, I'd double up conductors on the signal/tip to reduce cable impedance but the difference should be negligible.

Remember that the benefit of breaking the shield at one end is an attempt to force main leakage currents through the safety ground. The RCA defeats this by shorting the chassis' through the sleeve conductor.

This won't do much unless you have a floating RCA driven from a differential output into a floating RCA driving a balanced input. In which case you're better off with XLR:(

Attachments

• diamondx3.jpg
    diamondx3.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 134
Just did a couple of XLRs just now. Mine were wired pin1=shield, pin2=positive/hot, pin3=negative/cold. So I'd wire pin 2 to tip and pin1&3 to sleeve. Maybe you're referring to another diagram.

Anyway for a full explanation I refer you to this excellent document from Rane
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

The correct way of wiring depends on the application and the system grounding scheme.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.