Replacing transformator in X-540

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

my 110v Logitech X-540 was fried by plugging it into a 220v outlet. Now I've opened the whole control panel, and inside there's a big transformer that connects to the main board (I cannot take the transformer out to look at it's details). On the control panel it says Input "110-120v ~60Hz 525mA".

I was thinking of just using an external transformer directly connected to the board, but how can I figure out which one? Would a 500mA 12v work? Also, how do I figure out the leads on the board (the original cables were of the same color, and one goes to the board's fuse - is that the positive?). Unfortunately this board seems pretty "unfriendly", can't find specs anywhere...

THANKS in advance for ANY help! :D

You need to find out the necessary secondary voltage first.

Look for electrolytic caps and see what their voltage rating is. That should give you at least an idea.

However why do you think your transformer is shot?

If you feed it twice the input voltage you get also twice the output voltage, so it's rather likely that also other stuff got fried at the same time.

Search for burnt fuses.

The transformer probably didn't get hurt by this.

Have fun, Hannes

A fix for your Logitech X540

Hi everyone. I'm the guy that had his logitech X540 system drowned in hurricane Irene. As a result of the unfortunate fact that my speakers never learned to swim, the transformer shorted out, which of course means no power. I tried logitech, and while they were sypathetic, they informed me that they could, (or WOULD ), not supply a replacement transformer. Next I tried e-mailing " CHINA EASTERN FRONTIERS LTD", ( the manufacturers of the transformer), of Hong Kong.... they would not respond.
Now here's the fix, and it works beautifully; (I'm listening to them right now). Call or go to Digi-key. thats www.digikey.com, or 1-800-344-4539, and purchase power source part number 102-1332-ND. You'll also need to buy the connecters and contact, ( about 2 bucks). the transformer is rated at 120 VAC input and 15 VDC @ 3A output. The installation requires you to drill 4 small holes somewhere in the speaker cabinet to secure the power source. when you install the unit be sure to locate it somewhere that you'll be able to access the connecters and also provide for air circulation.
Once installed, your speakers will function as good as new; perhaps just a tad louder.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.