Where to Buy Panel Meters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pic attached of an identical unit I found online.

Attachments

• 50203.gif
    50203.gif
    42.2 KB · Views: 538
OK,

Spent a lot of time looking for these and here is the secret -

http://www.fairradio.com/

Here is the direct link to the meter section -

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=216

I stocked up on a whole lot of (new) retro looking great quality meters at good prices.

The folks at Fairradio don't say much and their emails responses are pretty brief but they post quickly and pack well.

Hope this helps.

Rob

PS - I am not affiliated with fair radio!

Hi John,

I originally bought a couple of these (if not identical, very similar) from ebay. With no disrespect to the seller, the quality is not great - Chinese made, plastic body and plastic cover and inaccurate. Hence my search for something better.

The ones that I bought from fairradio were only a couple of dollars more (I think they were about $15 US from memory). They are heavy, full metal construction (A&M manufactured - formally Weston) and sealed against the elements with rubber gaskets. The face cover is glass. They look like they might have been made for aircraft instrument panels. They are high quality meters.

Despite the stamp on the back indicating that they should not be dissembled, I pulled them apart, drilled a couple of small holes in the back and added a blue LED to give some back lighting. They look great and I am going to use them as bias meters for an 845 amp that I am building.

I have attached a photo.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• meter 5.jpg
    meter 5.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 553
Rob-
Pretty cool-looking.
You were smart to grab those when the price was reasonable.
Getting a matched pair of meters can be tricky at the hamfest...but a good excuse for a lot of wasted Saturdays....

I just use test points and a DMM to check the bias on my tube amps, but I'm 'old school':)

Cheers
John

Hey Folks ,

Thanks for the comments. I was pleased with the meters.

D1983 - good luck with the meters. Let us know how you go.

Hi John, I test the bias with from test points as well but then use the meters so that I can 'tweak' the bias with the chassis closed if need be.

On an earlier amp that I made, I used digital meters. I can roll tubes and adjust the bias without exposing myself to high voltage.

Couldn't resist attaching one last photo of my digital bias meters.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• amp 1.jpg
    amp 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 458
Rob11966 said:

Hi John, I test the bias with from test points as well but then use the meters so that I can 'tweak' the bias with the chassis closed if need be.

On an earlier amp that I made, I used digital meters. I can roll tubes and adjust the bias without exposing myself to high voltage.

Rob
Rob-
I wasn't very clear-by 'test points' I meant pin jacks, accessible from the top of the chassis. See attached pic. (The bias pots are closer to the PS section.)

Meters are pretty cool, though. Very nice job on your amp with the digital meters- slick!

Cheers
John

Attachments

• bias test points.jpg
    bias test points.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 390
Rob11966 said:

Are the test points connected to the high voltage or are you measuring voltage drop across a resistor?
I'm measuring the drop across a resistor- the ends of the pin jacks make handy solder points for the (usually 1 ohm) resistors. The 'top end' of the resistors are less than a volt or so above ground in most cases, so pretty safe.
Still, if there were kids in the house, I'd have the top of the chassis enclosed.
John

VictoriaGuy said:

I'm measuring the drop across a resistor- the ends of the pin jacks make handy solder points for the (usually 1 ohm) resistors. The 'top end' of the resistors are less than a volt or so above ground in most cases, so pretty safe.
Still, if there were kids in the house, I'd have the top of the chassis enclosed.
John

Hello,

I want to put a meter on each channel of the amp I'm working on but don't know which kind to get. There's AC mA, DC mA, DC A, AC Volts, DC Volts etc.

How do I pick the right one?

Below are links to a couple I'm considering, please let me know if they will work and how to connect them.

AC Volts with Db

DC mA

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.