Long RCA Jack for wooden enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Other options:
- use a router to create a recess
- cut a hole and mount the jacks on sheet metal or PC board stock. Screw and RTV it in place.
- Order a metal or plastic terminal cup that screws into a hole and provides a recessed mounting location for jacks and binding posts. MCM & Parts Express should have them. Some come prepunched for popular audio connectors.

Switchcraft makes (or made) some very long 1/4" jacks, but I don't remember ever seeing a comparable RCA jack.

Originally posted by vonfilm

Those Neutrics look interesting, but where do I find a 23.6mm(.93) Forstner bit? Why didn't they make it 7/8" or 1"?

Well, if you use a 1" bit you'll have a clearance of just under a millimeter all around, which I'd regard as reasonable for working in wood. If you want tighter tolerances, a 15/16" bit (if you have one) would give you an order of magnitude less clearance, which I personally wouldn't find necessary: YMMV, of course.

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus,
I am sure you are right about the drill bit size for the Neutrics.

Everyone who answered my inquiry here had some great ideas that I would like to try in the future.

On Sunday, I got out my Dremel tool and inletted the rca jacks and stepped ladder attenuators into the wooden cigar box that I am using for the case to my B1 Pre-Amp. You can see pictures of it there in posts #1018, and #1019. It was a lot more work but I was able to use the parts on hand.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1697753#post1697753

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1697755#post1697755

On Sunday, I got out my Dremel tool and inletted the rca jacks and stepped ladder attenuators into the wooden cigar box that I am using for the case to my B1 Pre-Amp. You can see pictures of it there in posts #1018, and #1019. It was a lot more work but I was able to use the parts on hand.

And a very nice-looking solution it is.

When I was a kid, there were still books with titles like "101 Things for Boys To Do" which leaned heavily on the presumed availability of cigar boxes, but they were becoming less common even then, at least among my acquaintances. Nice to see that this approach is still in use occasionally. ;)

Regards.

Aengus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.