questions for crossover parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a while, i have been trying to make the crossovers for zaph's sr71
http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html
For the record, i'm going to use them with a revox A50(40w+40w)
I could not find conductor of 1.5mm(close to 15AWG) in the local market so i had to use 1mm with the cost of a little higher resistanse(the 3.3mH coil riched the 0.5ohm).Am I going to have noticable amp power loss?And how could i be sure that tha 1mm conductor can handle power without heating problems?
What kind of capacitors?should all of them be poly?And further more what voltage should they handle?
thanks alot

(the inductor in the photo :3.3mH 0.5ohm.Any comment?)

Attachments

• inductor.jpg
    inductor.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 107
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Your inductor will handle the power, no problem
The higher impedance should idealy be taken into acount when calculating size of enclosure, but all you may notice is probably a bit more bass level and maybe a bit less controlled, but maybe you wont notice much difference, and if you are lucky it could actually be better
Capacitors should all be poly as the biggest is 40uf and neither hard to get or expencive
I havent handled that many caps, but I think 250V is a common and sensible value, at least thats what I use

You have 3 inductors so you must mount carefully with the right orientation and preferably not too close to each other
its very common to try and connect the components directly to each other with the result of a very compact and messy layout, which is a fault and is easily done wrong
Mount exactly like Zaph shows
there is nothing wrong in using a bit of solid core wire fore the connections

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

btw, its very good to have a seperate earth wire from the terminals to each drivers crossover section, and please use solid core

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.