Ordering Service Manuals on line. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2008, 12:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ordering Service Manuals on line.

Hi guys ,i have was wondering if any one has any experience with (Manuals in pdf.com). I want to order a service manual for my JVC RX-888VBK.....The display is blank (but I can still select inputs and the volume works.)
I figured that the low voltage A.C is missing so the Vaccum display has no heater voltage ,therefore no dispaly.

I would be very happy to hear about your experiences ,when it come to buying service manuals on line

Thanks guys!
Old 16th December 2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

That should be easy to trace. Are you 100 % sure it's missing. Can you feel the display warm. Can you see the filaments lit in a totally dark room ?
Old 16th December 2008, 12:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

The filament pins are the end ones and usually sit at around negative 25 volts going from memory. Not familiar at all with your model but most problems are small electroylitics that dry up causing the negative rail to disappear. Are there any negative voltages on the display pins, run a meter down them all !
Old 16th December 2008, 12:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

One other thing, some designs derive all these voltages from a small HF invertor, again it's always caps that fail doing the damage. If the heaters are from an HF supply a DVM won't measure them properly.
Old 17th December 2008, 01:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly! ,for you help ...I took the plunge and bought a manual then i spent some time on my Rx-888 .I traced the heater voltage to a connector on the transformer board ,there was 5 .6 volts A.c on 2 of the 0.22ohm resistors but on the connector it was missing.I traced the fault some open circuited print that was near the other leg of the resistor that is connected to pin 33 of the transformer.

Yes!!!!! I feel Great !! I felt a but sucky because i bought the manual ..but now I see that it is better to invest in a good schematic diagram (service manual) instead of trying to hunt around for a problem (regardless of how simple the fault was ) I`ve got that SWEET feeling again ..now I want to get back into repairing more equipment!!!!!
Old 17th December 2008, 03:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

That's great news. A service manual is always a good idea anyway, they always come in handy
Old 17th December 2008, 04:21 PM   #7
PH104 is offline PH104  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently ordered a pdf service manual from servicemanuals.net. No problems & I would use them again. The pdf manual was nice since I could zoom in on parts of the schematic and print out the zoomed section.

Funny thing......... I just got done fixing a piece of equipment that would a bad fluorescent display for a friend.

Hide this!Advertise here!