Need opamp recommendation - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2008, 08:35 AM   #11
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I would also be careful here... the ad744 might indeed not be stable on a pcb designed for the (way) slower lf351.

You might have a quite safe improvement by simply replacing R21,22,23 by 5ma CRD's (1N5314 ?).
Old 15th December 2008, 08:49 AM   #12
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Yes, those 100uF lyts across R30/31/32 looks too way much.
I usually try with 1nF, 2.2, 4.7 or 10nF here.

Also there are no 100nF supply film caps from V+ and V- (pins 7, 4) to GND.
Old 15th December 2008, 10:13 AM   #13
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lineup
Yes, those 100uF lyts across R30/31/32 looks too way much.
I usually try with 1nF, 2.2, 4.7 or 10nF here.

Also there are no 100nF supply film caps from V+ and V- (pins 7, 4) to GND.
And what do you expect a 1nf cap to do there ?

Read again the articles by Walt Jung (freely available on his website) and you will understand why a 100uF cap isn't a bad idea at all in those positions.
Old 15th December 2008, 02:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

this design violates the common mode restrictions of most opamps. Even the chosen LF351 may only work by accident.
Wild opamp swap is risky!
regards
Old 15th December 2008, 02:45 PM   #15
phrarod is offline phrarod  United States
diyAudio Member

This is a great discussion. The board is a commercial product. Its the Audio Note kit dac board. I'm building a new one because of issues. I put three ps in my ps box from twisted pair so each section would have its own separate supply.

When I turned it on one section blew either the LED or diode. A friend fixed it so I'm not sure which. When its working its fine although at times when I do mods to other things it can get fussy. I blew one just by trying to diagnose it. I noticed I'm getting voltages (5v and -5v) that aren't in spec. When I use some spare but different opamps it settle back so I though I would just get all new ones.

I have a spare pcb and plan to build a new one from scratch as this one is a little beat up. Since its the heart of the unit I would love to make any improvements I can.
Old 15th December 2008, 03:26 PM   #16
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 00940
And what do you expect a 1nf cap to do there?
Read .. Nnnnnnn Nnnnnn.. and you will understand why a 100uF cap isn't a bad idea at all in those positions.
If you know, which I doubt until you can tell us with your own words
.. then why not tell me and others.
Why keep your secrets, if you are a sharing DIY Member.
What dicussion would be, if we always reply with a link to somebody who knows better

Actually, I have several great working Regulator circuits using 1nF - 10nF for feedback resistor.
This is why I think you may not be 100% correct.

Regards, Lineup
Old 15th December 2008, 03:35 PM   #17
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

You could probably do a lot worse than to use the lm337/317 regulators or something on those lines.
Juergens comments are spot on.
It's a flawed design I'm afraid.
But don't let that put you off, things can only get better
Old 15th December 2008, 03:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've wrestled with this board for many years now wanting to just replace the whole thing unless I could improve it. Kind of frustrated. The 744s sounded less grainy and smoother than the original opamps.

Since I'm building a new one with one of their pcb's I'm open to improvements. I had thought of just replacing it with a buffalo dac board/iv from Twisted but I can't find reviews on it apart from "sounds good".

Little frustrated. This grew from a lowly dac kit to a two box monster with dual mono for the analog, separate fils trans for the ps and the analog tubes, now 3 separate supplies for the dac board. Switchable to run off battery. Its pretty elaborate. The flaw has always been this board.
Old 15th December 2008, 04:09 PM   #19
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The aim of the power supply is to provide a stable output voltage independant of load variations, temperature, mains fluctuations etc.
Why not try the IC regulators ? Look up the datasheets and have a go.
Discrete regulators can perform very well, but you can't just throw a few bits together and hope it will outperform a device that's had 100's of thousands or more spent developing it.
Even easier, the 7805 and 7905 regs.
Old 15th December 2008, 04:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Since I'm now using regulated supplies where as the original was unregulated isn't it stable now?

Yes, redesigning it is above my skill set.

Hide this!Advertise here!