How To: Lowest price, max quality hook-up wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Go to Parts connexion.

Look at the 11g Neotech PC-OCC power cord.

Buy a few meters of it.

21 strands per leg. That means 63 strands of approx 24g PC-OCC wire, per running foot.

Go onto ebay or wherever. Buy a roll of 22-20g teflon tubing.

Put the two together. It ends up being about $0.22-0.40 per foot for 24g Teflon coated PC-OCC hook-up wire. That's cost reduction of 4x to 8x, depending on how cheap you get the two items.

OR:

Go to Audiogon, or eBay.

Buy Tara Labs RSC gen2 speaker cables. Cheap ones. damaged ones. Who cares!!!

Take them apart. Incredible hook-up wire, in the same class as the neotech..but Rectangular cross section ---even better!!

Knock yourselves out. Have fun!

These are calculated on ebay and parts connexion prices for the AC power cord stuff and teflon, and the tara lab stuff is..everywhere.

So it's all workable and cheap. The outlay is about..oh... $50 plus shipping to get into the whole process for the neotech and teflon at parts connexion. I just researched all the pricing and parts to make sure I was dead on.

The neotech power cords and teflon tubing are likely to be even cheaper in the Far East.

This is a 12 foot tara RSC2 speaker single that sold on audiogon for $150.00.

I believe it is 12 or 24 strands per leg. If it is 24, which then means 576 ft of (individually insulated strands) hook-up wire at about 8 9's purity copper, and rectangular cross section to boot!....for $150.00.

Beat that. You can't. At any level-you just can't.

Attachments

• tara.jpg
    tara.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 327
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ken,
I believe it is 12 or 24 strands per leg. If it is 24, which then means 576 ft of individually insulated strand hook-up wire at about 8 9's purity copper..for $150.00.
Do the electrons care? I'm not trying to be funny here, but I would think that any wire issues will be swamped by issues with connections, copper foil on PCBs, on and on ....

The surface will begin to oxidize immediately also. So much for oxygen free!

-Chris

Tends to make a noticeable difference due to being a series connection for the signal.

Think of a wide bandwidth antenna..with lumps in it. How will that perform, overall?

And problems are additive, so take care of them one by one---and it gets better.

There's a lot more to it, but this is not the place to get into it.

I'm just trying to put down in print some good resources for those who want to pursue such -- at as low a price as possible.

Let us not argue wire here. Not the thread for it. :)

Attachments

• tara2.jpg
    tara2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 283
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.