Takman: a new audio resistor - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2009, 05:25 PM   #41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesteve View Post
organic resistors: can i cook and eat them? or is ET already here? how about organic transformers etc.?
Sure eat away if that floats your boat

"Organic" implies that the sound is full and homogeneous. It has a "weighty" sound to it that sounds more lifelike with a richness, but not a bloated sound that is blurred or bass heavy. I know some people do not listen closely to come to understand the subtle nuances of their systems, so this might just fly over some peoples heads. Ears and brain do a much better job of showing how a system will sound when listening to music than instruments measure in my experience, but hey, that's just me
Old 13th November 2009, 05:34 PM   #42
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
organic resistors: can i cook and eat them? or is ET already here? how about organic transformers etc.?
Don't laugh. When I was originally working on this stuff, my postdoc adviser (a Nobelist) gave a press conference where he touted as one of the advantages of organic electronics the potential edibility in emergency situations. My at-the-time wife (who was a newspaper reporter at the conference) immediately asked, "Which of the four food groups would that fall under?" Cracked up the room.
Old 13th November 2009, 06:22 PM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Don't laugh. When I was originally working on this stuff, my postdoc adviser (a Nobelist) gave a press conference where he touted as one of the advantages of organic electronics the potential edibility in emergency situations. My at-the-time wife (who was a newspaper reporter at the conference) immediately asked, "Which of the four food groups would that fall under?" Cracked up the room.
Now that was funny
Old 14th November 2009, 02:09 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Location: since 1998 in China as an electronic consulting design and testing engineer
Send a message via Skype™ to tubesteve
Default organic

remember: the audio signals are processed through thousands of transistors, and other components, then compressed or so, then processed again etc etc. until they are fed into an amplifier. and all that with "standard" components.
the pick-ups of the instruments not even mentioned.
so, the reproduction, which is called "HiFi" is far away from the real thing, and the worst thing is even the speaker, with its own life and its own THD.

How, i ask myself, can people say, that the sound from all these processing chains is good? a lot of personal emotion is involved besides others, and sometimes wishes makes things come true. " i have invested so much in this
component, it must be good, i feel, its better." an old saying: belief can move mountains.
we know, no component is perfect, but we are still on this imperfect world.
Old 14th November 2009, 02:40 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
remember: the audio signals are processed through thousands of transistors, and other components, then compressed or so, then processed again etc etc. until they are fed into an amplifier. and all that with "standard" components.
Oh you are using solid state. Ah that makes more sense now Tube circuits have much fewer "bad" parts in them to lessen those nasty things
Old 14th November 2009, 05:11 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

But Takman vs Riken and Kiwame ?

GG
Old 16th November 2009, 04:07 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Woods View Post
Oh you are using solid state. Ah that makes more sense now Tube circuits have much fewer "bad" parts in them to lessen those nasty things
Yes as Curly has stated the tube circuits have fewer components and therefore easier to judge the differences heard. But you must change one component at a time if you really want to know what is happening.
"especially in the signal path" I have only two resistors and one capacitor in the direct signal path. Of course the tubes as well.
I am interested in trying Mills wire-wounds in the grid stop positions and vishay VTA in the remaining position to determine the differences.

I have used Kiwame's in other pieces and they were nice, but I don't have any desire to use them in the signal path of my amp. For those whose don't think resistors have an impact, I would ask you to try the Riken's and compare them to a metal film of your choice. You will prefer one over the other but there is certainly a difference.
Old 12th March 2010, 05:47 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

After long painstaking trial & error, finally I picked my favourite resistor:

1st -- Riken resistor - never failed me but too much this thickened mid sound and bit flabby bass
2nd -- Audionote tants over Shinkoh, better bass but lack air, put it in feedback circuit but don't too many

honestly I little bit dissapointed with Takman REX (carbon) resistor..it hardened female vocal when I put it in feedback and edgy trebble too, I replaced almost all Takman with Riken
Old 17th April 2010, 04:26 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

update

I received vishay TX2575 yesterday and replace Audionote tants, the result, I say "wonderful !!"
the sound became more neutral, the air is back and fuller sound, musical and tight bass
RECOMENDED !!!!!!

you can buy TX2575 from partsconnexion canada or direct to Texas Component it self, the service is very good
Old 18th April 2010, 12:31 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

eherdian,
I never tried the Takman Rex but the REY they are not as nice as the Riken IMOH. I did order some Vishay S102's to try in the signal path. I got them from a guy pretty cheap used just to try them. If I really like them I may try the TX2575 but they are pretty expensive. Have you compared the two of them? Part Connexion has a new Japanese resistor call Amtrans that look interesting.

Hide this!Advertise here!