Takman: a new audio resistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
organic resistors: can i cook and eat them? or is ET already here? how about organic transformers etc.?

Sure eat away if that floats your boat :)

"Organic" implies that the sound is full and homogeneous. It has a "weighty" sound to it that sounds more lifelike with a richness, but not a bloated sound that is blurred or bass heavy. I know some people do not listen closely to come to understand the subtle nuances of their systems, so this might just fly over some peoples heads. Ears and brain do a much better job of showing how a system will sound when listening to music than instruments measure in my experience, but hey, that's just me :D

organic resistors: can i cook and eat them? or is ET already here? how about organic transformers etc.?

Don't laugh. When I was originally working on this stuff, my postdoc adviser (a Nobelist) gave a press conference where he touted as one of the advantages of organic electronics the potential edibility in emergency situations. My at-the-time wife (who was a newspaper reporter at the conference) immediately asked, "Which of the four food groups would that fall under?" Cracked up the room.

Don't laugh. When I was originally working on this stuff, my postdoc adviser (a Nobelist) gave a press conference where he touted as one of the advantages of organic electronics the potential edibility in emergency situations. My at-the-time wife (who was a newspaper reporter at the conference) immediately asked, "Which of the four food groups would that fall under?" Cracked up the room.

Now that was funny :D

organic

remember: the audio signals are processed through thousands of transistors, and other components, then compressed or so, then processed again etc etc. until they are fed into an amplifier. and all that with "standard" components.
the pick-ups of the instruments not even mentioned.
so, the reproduction, which is called "HiFi" is far away from the real thing, and the worst thing is even the speaker, with its own life and its own THD.

How, i ask myself, can people say, that the sound from all these processing chains is good? a lot of personal emotion is involved besides others, and sometimes wishes makes things come true. " i have invested so much in this
component, it must be good, i feel, its better." an old saying: belief can move mountains.
we know, no component is perfect, but we are still on this imperfect world.

remember: the audio signals are processed through thousands of transistors, and other components, then compressed or so, then processed again etc etc. until they are fed into an amplifier. and all that with "standard" components.

Oh you are using solid state. Ah that makes more sense now :D Tube circuits have much fewer "bad" parts in them to lessen those nasty things :)

Oh you are using solid state. Ah that makes more sense now :D Tube circuits have much fewer "bad" parts in them to lessen those nasty things :)

Yes as Curly has stated the tube circuits have fewer components and therefore easier to judge the differences heard. But you must change one component at a time if you really want to know what is happening.
"especially in the signal path" I have only two resistors and one capacitor in the direct signal path. Of course the tubes as well.
I am interested in trying Mills wire-wounds in the grid stop positions and vishay VTA in the remaining position to determine the differences.

I have used Kiwame's in other pieces and they were nice, but I don't have any desire to use them in the signal path of my amp. For those whose don't think resistors have an impact, I would ask you to try the Riken's and compare them to a metal film of your choice. You will prefer one over the other but there is certainly a difference.

After long painstaking trial & error, finally I picked my favourite resistor:

1st -- Riken resistor - never failed me but too much this thickened mid sound and bit flabby bass
2nd -- Audionote tants over Shinkoh, better bass but lack air, put it in feedback circuit but don't too many

honestly I little bit dissapointed with Takman REX (carbon) resistor..it hardened female vocal when I put it in feedback and edgy trebble too, I replaced almost all Takman with Riken

update

I received vishay TX2575 yesterday and replace Audionote tants, the result, I say "wonderful !!"
the sound became more neutral, the air is back and fuller sound, musical and tight bass
RECOMENDED !!!!!!

you can buy TX2575 from partsconnexion canada or direct to Texas Component it self, the service is very good

eherdian,
I never tried the Takman Rex but the REY they are not as nice as the Riken IMOH. I did order some Vishay S102's to try in the signal path. I got them from a guy pretty cheap used just to try them. If I really like them I may try the TX2575 but they are pretty expensive. Have you compared the two of them? Part Connexion has a new Japanese resistor call Amtrans that look interesting.

Hi nanchangbob,

I don't have s102 on hand so I can't compare to tx2575
today I did more test to tx2575 and found the resistor give more lifelike sound and rich in harmonic and also maintain dynamic and detail but add bit more bass and affect bit thick to overall sound

I test with piano recording (Davide Santorsola - Sonority - no.4) and I never heard the piano sound so real and I swear I can hear woody sound of the Bossendorfer piano.

I recomend you to buy it direct to Texas Component it self, the service is very good
(us$ 9.6 each compare us$15.8 from partsconnexion)

regards

Last edited:
I tried the S102

Hi Etherdian,

I received the S102k and installed them in the signal path. There is only two direct signal path resistors on my amp. Except for the grid stop resistors on the KT-88's. I only changed the first one coming from the volume pot going to the 12ax7 input. Wow was my first thoughts. It was more like changing around NOS tubes or the coupling caps. Increased clarity, better sound layering. And as you mentioned more musical. I already wrote to Texas components and got a quote for all four of the resistors. Before the Vishay's I was pretty happy with the Riken's. I still have one 1/2 Riken in the direct signal path as well as two watt Riken's in the grid stop position. I'm looking forward to trying the TX2575's

Wow...This is funny reading!

Well...to give my 2 cents...It is all in the mind! No 2 violins or singers or piano's are the same. The acoustics is different and -compared to live performance- the energy of the performers as well as the other people enjoying the concert is the biggest missing factor.

I did not come across a recording device nor a transducer that can recreate this energy.

Guy's sound the alarm! Recorded music is not the same as live performance!!!!!

@ Nanchangbob,

Hi, glad you enjoy your S201, I'm currious how it compare to TX2575, so give me update ok?
I think you should keep riken also, it's great resistor too, riken never failed me anyway

@ Tarasque,

I'm agree with you, no recording and equipment can produces sound as like live event, even each of recording is different, some great sounding, some bad...
Every equipment also cary it's own sound signature and even....none of us have same ear :D and same taste :p about recording...
So, people talk about sound quality is different for every person, that's why we enjoying to talk each other in forum, trying to get better sound so we can enjoy ourself more ;) and don't forget..it's all about the message it self....MUSIC...

Last edited:
Hi Etherdian,

I received the S102k and installed them in the signal path. There is only two direct signal path resistors on my amp. Except for the grid stop resistors on the KT-88's. I only changed the first one coming from the volume pot going to the 12ax7 input. Wow was my first thoughts. It was more like changing around NOS tubes or the coupling caps. Increased clarity, better sound layering. And as you mentioned more musical. I already wrote to Texas components and got a quote for all four of the resistors. Before the Vishay's I was pretty happy with the Riken's. I still have one 1/2 Riken in the direct signal path as well as two watt Riken's in the grid stop position. I'm looking forward to trying the TX2575's

Hi again nanchangbob,
How's update after you try tx2575 compare to s102k?
regards,

I used Takman rex in the signal path of my Pass B1 build and it has a rather overly warm presentation to the point of being a little dark and somewhat recessed. I have almost a 100 hrs on them and am wondering if they might still open up a little. I have heard they can take a while to break in. Anyone know if they change after 100 hrs or should i start removing a few????

I used Takman rex in the signal path of my Pass B1 build and it has a rather overly warm presentation to the point of being a little dark and somewhat recessed. I have almost a 100 hrs on them and am wondering if they might still open up a little. I have heard they can take a while to break in. Anyone know if they change after 100 hrs or should i start removing a few????

I had exactly the same results when I used Takman carbon films in my B1. Took the 'bite' out of music; smoothed things over too much. My interest in the music was lost and my attention was lost. Replaced them all with Takman metal film and got the sound I was looking for. Really cannot warm to the Takman carbon films. Personally I also prefer Kiwames - clean, clear sound - some say even those are too warm, but not to my ears.

Agree with the others, I've found the Takman carbons to be surprisingly good when used in the right places. A great passives combination is really a recipe of sorts.

I've tried the nude foils several times and never stay with them. They're incredibly detailed yes, but they bring something extra to the sound, some zing for lack of a better word that my perception system doesn't care for.

The comedians taking pot shots at the thought of a resistor having any sonic impact. Funny, sure, but do you really believe that a microvolts/microamps level signal can pass through a component like that and it have absolutely zero effect on it? Zero point zero impact on the travelling wave as it transitions from one conducting medium and dielectric to the next, encounters TC and self heating, vibratory effects, etc, etc. Really, is that possible? No impact? If you believe so you're not paying close enough attention (yet).

Turbo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.