Hook up wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking through the garage the other day and realized that the alarm guy left about a 100' spool of 4 conductor 22ga solid copper wire at the house.

Would this stuff be good to use for some hookup wire? I am getting ready to build my Aikido line stage and need some hookup wire.

Working voltage will be around 250VDC...

cjkpkg said:
I was looking through the garage the other day and realized that the alarm guy left about a 100' spool of 4 conductor 22ga solid copper wire at the house.

Would this stuff be good to use for some hookup wire? I am getting ready to build my Aikido line stage and need some hookup wire.

I prefer stranded wire unless I need the extra mechanical rigidity for microphonic considerations. It should be OK for low voltage, low current wiring, like heaters for small signal types. It'd do just fine for SS projects as well.

The only fly in the ointment is if the alarm guy comes back to retrieve his wire. :D

DigitalJunkie said:
You are indeed correct,I should have said -the insulation on this type of wire is usually good for 300V. ;)

In reality,I've used strands of Cat-5 at a few hundred volts in prototypes,etc. and haven't had any issues.(yet.) :clown:

DJ,
Your not alone, I read a thread by Bas Horneman who said the same thing about the cat5e / cat6 , PTFE not the PVC as I recall....

It would seem suitabe for low Amperage, and make a great fuse for the heater supply :hot: :bigeyes:

Just looking around the "Net" I found several cat5e makers claim their solid core 24ga. (not stranded) plenum rated (teflon) voltage at 250V MAX. @ 750mA....!

Seems like asking for trouble to me. But I am not an electrical engineer either.....
Ron

Renron said:

Translation please?
Ron

Thats exactly what I am hoping for!!!

I've done a little more digging and it seems that this stuff is good to 300V as mentioned...

The alarm dude left a freakin new shrinkwrapped coil that has to be at least 100' long!!!

I was cleaning out the garage and found it the other day...Its been about 16 months since ADT was here doing the install...

Damn it!
You made me go look it up in my NEC manual.......grrrrrrr......
HONEYWELL 22 AWG 4C (FTI) TYPF CM-CL2 SUN RES (ROHS)

22AWG is rated for 300v at 70*C
22AWG is rated for 5A max.
Type F (TYPF) is the temperature rating of 155C or 311F (PVC coated, PTFE is higher)

4C is 4 conductors
CM-CL2 is ComMunications - CLass 2 (General purpose not rated for risers or plenum use) (that means inside air ducts or where fumes could be inhaled if exposed to fire)
Sun Res means OK for exposed outdoor use (somewhat UV protected)

What else do you want to know????
Is it solid or stranded?
Is it sheilded?

I actualy enjoyed looking this up......I MUST be sick......

Ron

If memory serves me right, ADT actually used a subcontractor for this because we were having one of the terminals moved...didnt sign anything and no card - all I remember is that his truck had something on the side of it...not ADT....

Heck...I'm glad the wife didnt clean the garage and just throw it away!!! at lest its getting put to a good use!!! :cool:

Thanks for all the info!!!

It is solid core wire...not shielded...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.