soldering help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently started soldering. I can make joints and desolder ok. I use a Antex variable temp soldering iron and some standard lead free solder from Maplin. I can make my joints ok but find as the temp cools and they solidify they end up looking rather duller than the original joints on the circuit board I am trying to repair. I do wipe the iron tip with a sponge and then attempt to tin the tip prior to making the joint. I have also tried some different temp settings but it doesn't seem to help. The solder looks exactly the right colour when it is molton but when it cools the joint looks dull instead of nice and shiney.

Can somebody help please?

Lead free solder produces a duller finish than the products it replaces, but this is not an issue. More importantly, check that the solder joint is the right shape once done and that the traces to be soldered to are cean before soldering.

Other than that dont worry.

I do notice that the the solder with silver in it is not quite do dull after soldering.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.