Toroidal transformers in Greece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear friend,

I also nuilt a zenV4 some weeks ago and its very good but you really need high sensitivity speakers with high impendance. Speakers dropping to 1-3 ohms are really not advisable , the you have to built an aleph. Anyway, a good source very oftenly used from fellow DIYers in Athens is Mr Giatras he is quick and cheap too (60Euros for 680KVA), as soon as I am at home I will let you know about his address and tel, he is located in kalithea though.

Regards,

Panos

Dear Pano,

Nice to see Greek people on this site. I am building at the moment the Scan SpeaK Reference monitors that have about 87db sensetivity. I am curious if the ZEN4 ia a good choice. Can it drive low sensetivity loudspeakers? If not what is the best choice puting ease of construction first? (I am not an electrician but an economist!!!)
I will be waiting for Mr Giatras details also.

Thank you
George

Dear Gearge,

To tell the truth, I am not an electronics engineer either, but I am an economist as you are!
Anyway this is my hobby and consumes most of my free time as well as some of my time reserved from my employer and much reserved from my Gf!
The speakers you are about to built suits more to an aleph 30 as this is the same as Zen but with multiple ouptut pairs (3 pairs instead of 1) and also a differential pair for drive istead of a single ended drive. So, this got more drive capability than the Zen and basicallly the same sonic signature (I have both so I can compare). Sound is basically the same as well as building complexity. Bear in mint also that aleph 30 idles at about 75W-90W (the higher the better, and produces around 30W at 8Ohms 60 at 4Ohms, enough to drive anything (unless you are throwing parties very often! You also need huge heatinks! and this applies to both the Zen and aleph (Zen idles at more than 90W anyway). I can also provide you with an artwork to make your own pcb. I would search first for the heatsinks and then I would decide upon the power output. In an aleph power output is easily scaled up or down depending only on the consumption capability of your heatsinks(0.2C/W- 0,3C/W per channel)) and of course your transformer. For aleph30 you only need one transformer 680KVA 2X22-24V (for both channels). For the Bosoz you have to use at least 100KVA but I would try 100KVA per channel)even if it is a preaplifier!

In your disposal for any questions.( panos29@yahoo.com)

Regards,

Panos

Dear Panos,

Thanks for your rerply. Is Aleph 30 the same as Aleph 3 posted in the passdiy.com gallery? I have seen that a lot of people build the Aleph 5. Maybe it is the best compromise between cost/watt. Is Aleph 5 more expensive than Aleph 30 to build?
If you have any details about the Aleph 30 (links or pdf files) please let me know.

Thank you
George

Aleph30

Agaphte Giorgo kalhmera,

Loipon, the aleph30 is basically exactly the same as the aleph 5 but a bit newer design and improved, in terms of values of resistors used. The resistor values in the input differential are calculated so that the low input resistance of the aleph5 to be raised so that the beast can be easier driven with normal preamplifiers. I built the aleph5 and then modified it to the aleph30 and there was a huge difference. Apart these changes, the obly other difference is the power supply +/-34V(aleph5) while aleph30 +/-25.

aleph30

Panos

Aleph 5 versus Aleph 30

Hi Panos

I currently have a too hot running Aleph 4 that I would like to convert either an Aleph 5 or Aleph 30.

What is the difference in sound between the two. As I would use the amp for bi-amping I think I could live with the power of a Aleph 30 consuming 200W (only).

I would like to use a 800Va 24-0-24 volt transformer and a pi filter what would give me around 29 Volt of rail voltage instead of the official 25V. Will I have to do any changes to compensate for the 4 Volt difference?

Thank you and best regards,

Alois

Dear friend,first you change R25 from 4k75 to 1k5 and R1 from 10k to 4k7. Then you need to change R26 and subtitute this with a trimmer of the same value and adjust until you got about 0,4V on the source resistors, istead of 0,6V that i suppose you got now. Then you should adjust R29 for 50% current gain of the current source and you are ready.

Regards,

Panos:scratch:

Thank you Panos

To what schematic are you refering the Aleph5 or the Aleph30?.

Looking A30 schematic R25 (as well as R22-R27) are 0.47 ohm, R1 is * (can be left out, has impact on PSRRM), R26 is 0.47 ohm. What will the value of R29 be and changing R29 would meen changing R28-R30.

Can you give me more information on how I can measure the 50% current gain?

Could you please try to explain the difference in sound?

Thank you! Alois

aleph 4

The resistor changes are referenced to aleph 4 schematic as you said your current amplifier is aleph 4. Basically aleph 30 can easily work with +/-29 with no changes at all but since your output stage is the aleph4 you really have to compensate for the extra mosfets as well as the diferent bias and different source resistors.

Tank you! I had a look at the A4 schematic and things became much clearer. My intention is to change all other parts (incl. output stages) as well to get a 1 to 1 copy of the A30 schematic but using a Transformer with 24V-0-24V giving me somewhere around 29 – 32V DC.

Do you think it is not worth to do all the changes but only limit it to the ones you mentioned?

What about the sound difference A4 to A5 to A30?

If I understand you correct the + 5V or so will no be a problem and I will not have to do other changes.

Your help is highly appreciated, thanks.

Alois

By far the best, soundwize, is the aleph 4, more drive, better control in the bass region and more efortless sound. Now if i were you I would only change what I mentioned as it is easier and second and more importand because the output stage of aleph 4 is alot better as it uses double the transistors. This means that it got lower output impendance so better bass control and lower chip temperatures (half) than the aleph30 or 5, so you got a more reliable and stable amplifier. Another option is to use the aleph 60 topology which is exactly an aleph 4 with +/-35 volt, the only differences are various resistors values including the source resistors. This solution is my proposal as it is something between aleph30 and aleph4. Moreover with +/-29V you do not need any change in values as long as you follow the values in aleph60.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.