Mains cables.Do they (and why)make any difference? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2008, 02:56 PM   #21
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Because they're just so pretty and expensive
Old 12th November 2008, 03:32 PM   #22
Hartono is offline Hartono  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

serious mode on

might be, some add resistance to "change" the sound, or some sort of filtering can also be incorporated along the cable length, like RFI absorber, or cable deliberately made to be more capacitive.

of course all above (to some different degree )could be done at the equipment side.

or equipment deliberately made to have impact on the minute change in power cord resistance/impedance.

just my thought

serious mode off

maybe blue cable make things sound cooler, hey!! I prefer brown
Old 12th November 2008, 04:12 PM   #23
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Posts removed. Stay on topic
Old 12th November 2008, 05:06 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

lineup: The old cable was the one supplied with my turntable,a 17awg one,the new one is a 12awg solid core-shielded.

Backapound: Very logical statement,and we all are aware of that.However,my humble opinion is that no matter how good or bad the mains is after all those miles of cable till it reaches our houses,we have no other choice but to consider that mains as our "reference" and the "best" we can have.
In my case,there are no dimmers or switches or anything else.I have installed a line directly from the supply board to the RCD's in my room that is only 5-6m and from there with a 2m of the same cable I have a 6-way distribution box.It is from this distribution box to the equipment that the improvements were heard.
I have some thoughts,but no,I don't have not any proven answers.This is why I would like to have some more expert opinions.
Old 12th November 2008, 05:45 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckapound
Can anyone give a non-ridiculous guess why mains cables could cause the kind of sonic effects that are being described here?

Not really. The case of a motor being sensitive to mains cable quality is certainly interesting because, at least to me, it appears to be simpler than on an amplifier, cdp etc. The amplifier and cdp have the ability to feed all sorts of harmonics back into the mains, either polluting it for other devices or utilising the mains cable as a transmitting antenna. A motor, at least in my understanding, isn't so complicated. All it requires is as clean as possible sinewave from a low driving impedance and there isn't that much it feeds back. Certainly not megahertz switching noise from diodes or class b harmonics.

With many other devices one can't be too sure if a mains cable has an audible effect not due to the device it powers but due to other components being sensitive to noise. It may be a good idea to try similar experiments in a system where only a single device is mains powered.

I have to admit to being continuously fascinated by the effects of wire. Not that i have any particularly expensive wires in the system. I just believe that understanding the effects of wire will be fundamental to understanding a lot of the subtler effects in audio.
Old 12th November 2008, 05:51 PM   #26
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A motor is a horrible reactive load and is probably more likely to expose inadequate wiring (i.e. too thin) than (sane) Hi-Fi equipment
Old 12th November 2008, 07:09 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Do you agree or disagree with my reason why mains cables make a difference to the sound?
Old 12th November 2008, 07:12 PM   #28
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Can't do either. You've presented no evidence that they do make any audible difference (other than straightforward stuff like 10 amp circuits being fed by 30AWG) and no evidence to back up your assertion of the mechanisms of the as-yet unproved audible differences. So there's really nothing to disagree or agree with.
Old 12th November 2008, 07:35 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Can anyone who does not accept that power cables do make a difference,tell us what power cables they are using on their equipment and why they have chosen to use these particular power cables?
Old 12th November 2008, 08:37 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Powercables are the bloodviens that fead the powersuply, if they`re restrictive the ps will breath heavily, no matter how many caps you`ve added.
To underrstand this we allso need to look at how much damage a stranded wire does to the current signal. Not only do the thin hairs restrict powerrflow alot, flow between the hairs and reflecses/TIM degenerates the powerquality.

Solution? Solid core, like the EKKJ from here:

https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~ex_en/b2b/start.do

Hide this!Advertise here!