Mains cables.Do they (and why)make any difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A good analogy is what can happen at a trial.

If one witness say he saw the accused did the murder
and one other say he saw another person did the murder
the jury can not say the accused is guilty.

Because here is truly a doubt.

If one person tells the accused did not do the murder
and 10 persons tells they actually did see the accused do the murder
and even some other evidence point in this direction,
then even if there is no 100% proof
.. the jury may verdict:
The accused is guilty beyond any reasonable doubt.

An impression is one interpretation of the reality around you.
Based on information from your senses, passing through the brain mechanism of creating an image of things.
Isn't is better you can confirm and verify your listening impression.
This way people will not doubt your statement as easily.
And your statement may be useful for others.

If you are not sure and can not verify our observation, then it may still be true and valid to you.
But unless we have other confirmations it is only for you.
If you are not sure and have validated, you should make this reservation clear.
Along with your statement.

;) But to make it generally accepted and useful, we need more.

At least I need more to confirm that Mains Cable change
can effect the sound quality a person can hear.

This can be done by:
1. Measurements
2. Valid performed listening test
3. See if it makes sense based on our approved knowledge, like Physics & Electronics & Humans

Just off to break in to my local electricity sub station and rewind all those transformers with solid silver wire, blessed by my local voodoo priest of course:cool:
The oxygen free copper re-wire of my ring main was a hell of a job.....
Now if I could just lose my fear of heights I could get up those electricity pylons with that van den hul cable and finally banish that last harsh edge and lack of transparency from my system:D

I'll get my coat

:devilr:

jez said:
Just off to break in to my local electricity sub station and rewind all those transformers with solid silver wire, blessed by my local voodoo priest of course:cool:
The oxygen free copper re-wire of my ring main was a hell of a job.....
Now if I could just lose my fear of heights I could get up those electricity pylons with that van den hul cable and finally banish that last harsh edge and lack of transparency from my system:D

I'll get my coat

:devilr:

Hello jez :D

In the same spirit I posted this in a topic about silver wire in AudioAsylum.com 2002.
(Before getting banned as groman. Maybe I did not fit in 100% at that website???)

Posted by groman (R ) on January 6, 2002 at 07:04:18

In Reply to: Pure silver wire for speakers? (internal).
posted by chris.redmond2@bushinternet.com on January 5, 2002 at 07:14:20:

My Gold Wire is SUPER

I have installed my dream cable now.

It is made by 4 wires and twined together
the wires are solid 2 squre-mm area
24 carat gold
I have put teflon tubing on the wires
I cross-connect two pairs at the end of cable

It is 85 cm long, and you should hear it!

By making this cable myself
I saved about $650

Do It Yourself
Never settle for bad Quality
like Silver or Copper

Until you haven't used gold
You've Heard Nothing Yet

yours
groman

Here is one reply I got
from a fellow that had understood my ironi, my intention
Posted by bobbym on January 20, 2002 at 15:01:34

In Reply to: No..My Gold Wire is STOLEN!!!!!!!
posted by groman on January 6, 2002 at 18:06:52:

You Ain't heard nothing till you heard MY Pure #14 Platinum Cables
Hand refined and dug from my backyard right here in south carolina.
THE BEST

Original websource and Topic
Tweakers' Asylum - My Gold Wire is SUPER

Yeah, you are right Panicos K

Whatever our fantasy can try to make up
in audio .. some actually already sells that fantasy .. for lots of money.

Was the same in another thread here at forum.
About fuses.
We were informed by a pooster
they actually make fuses of gold for audio :D
-----------------------------------

Van Den Hul platinum interconnects cables
MC - The PLATINUM HYBRID Balanced (Halogen Free)
True Reference Class
Very limited edition only

http://www.vandenhul.com/p_B63.aspx

Ultra Systems
HiFi Tuning Fuses- Silver and Gold
as reviewed by Francisco Duran

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue32/fuses.htm

lineup said:
Yeah, you are right Panicos K

Whatever our fantasy can try to make up
in audio .. some actually already sells that fantasy .. for lots of money.

Was the same in another thread here at forum.
About fuses.
We were informed by a pooster
they actually make fuses of gold for audio :D
-----------------------------------

Van Den Hul platinum interconnects cables
MC - The PLATINUM HYBRID Balanced (Halogen Free)
True Reference Class
Very limited edition only

http://www.vandenhul.com/p_B63.aspx

Ultra Systems
HiFi Tuning Fuses- Silver and Gold
as reviewed by Francisco Duran

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue32/fuses.htm

7950.00 EURO per 1m pair.Just for the record:) or 11500.00 for 1.5m pair.:xeye:

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
lineup said:

Your mind simply will fill in and hear WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR ;)

wow, thats good news fore the future, and I wont have to build new speakers, just imagine what I have as being better...come to think of it, I know people who do that :D

I am old enough to remember when speaker cables didnt bother anyone...and didnt matter either :clown:

I've done a cable test on two systems and found that my cheap mini hi-fi are better designed than my big system because different cables doesn't have any effect on the small system but found very noticeable differences on the big system. Strange though that the music sounds much better on the big one, must be my imagination. :D :D :D

tinitus

You rip my senstence out of context, and so twist my message.

Especially when something is very subtle or in fact there is no difference we can hear
then our brain, our mind is not 100% to trust.
Becuase of illusory effects that you want to hear.
And your mind will always please your imagintion.
Your mind simply will fill in and hear WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR

Especially when something is very subtle or we come close to the limitis of what we can hear, see or know,
then our mind is programmed to use stuff to try to make an image of reality.

Like when it is very dark, and your eyes can barely see, your mind can give you the impression that a tree looks like a person.
And this can scare you.
In daylight you can clearly see the tree.

It is likewise when we come close to the ability limits of our hearing.
It is at this point, the subtle level, our mind can begin to fill in information
that actually not comes from our ears.

Do you deny this mechanism?
It better to know that you have cancer. Then to not know if you have cancer or not.
Because in the unknown, your imagination will play tricks on you.
When there is a lack of information.

lineup, Darkness always causes worries and fear and if you are afraid of darkness your mind will never manage to please you and stop the fear. It is very different situation with hearing and more specifically with someone's decision first to compare and finally buy or not buy a cable.Generalizing things,creates the conclusion that all audiophiles/"audiophiles" always buy a cable everytime they happen to compare some cables.If our minds are not sure that the new improves things then most will not buy the new one especially if it is a very expensive one."Audiophools" can be excluded :)

I was trying to remember if I ever cared for any of my mains cables.
But can not recall this.
I have never owned more than like 100 Watt amplifiers.
The standard cables I have used are the same cheap quality as we can buy for to supply 60 Watt lamps and such normal things in a home.

If you have some powerful system like +1000 Watts, I think you could try to get some cables with more copper area.
Because at very high output power there will be plenty of CURRENT needed.

Who is pulling legs here? In france they pull leg from frogs... ;)

No, really, I was serious. It was then also very strange to test empty CDs as general opinion was that bits are bits and what can go wrong here. I dare you to try it with cheap sony CD (not audio) and then TDK audio (with green or black surface). If you do not here major differncies your system is not resolving one. On Sony CDs I missed almost all details in backround (softening and blurring to everything in backgorund, soft sounds merged with louder ones)

As for the cables goes I would be surprised to be wrong then. But that is going to be checked again next week as I will try this on my not so new SKA amp and speakers (having my revealing front tractrix horns with FE206E on sale in some design store here I will play with eminence 12LT + tweeter 25DTN monacor). However, I never checked the differencies on amp+speakers (just on CD player with headphones)... so yes, maybe I was wrong back then.

As I promised I did the swap between the main cables today. I made one just of sliver Qed Silver loudspeaker cables and one was standard Ho Sheng PVC main cable. I did thos years ago as I said and must say that now am coninced that was right back then.
When I first heard Qed Silvers in a system of Tannoy Chruchil driven by an X_A1 from musical fidelity in a local store (some 8 years ago or more) I didn´t like the sound. It was a bit woolly and too homogeneous. Now I think that this cable add some of it to the overall sound. I bought them because I wanted to hear silver cables. Here we cannot buy silver cable anywhere else, so 2m I bought to make an interconnect. It never worked of course and for mains...well it sounds woolly too.The bass became pounderous and streches over all spectrum so all instruments playing in the midrange became blurred and thick sounding. Vocal lost some of its stridency but just on the recording that are bright - on all others became to organic too thick, the edges were gone and it melted with rest of the sound. as this was played over my eminences 12lt + tweeter I am eager to hear the differencies on FE206. There some of those characteristics may play a better role.
Mind you, changes are easily heard, even with not so revealing systems. I would suggest you to make a main cable from your favorite stranded ao solid core wire (70cm) and just try it and then report back. If you have a spare good loudspeaker cable you must hear the change.

!!
T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.