Crossover setup for Sony loudspeakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got hold of a pair of enclosures w/speakers from a sony stereo system

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Each box has three speakers in it: a 4", a 2" and some tiny 1-2cm thing.
Using my awesome paint skills I've made a diagram of how they're wired up. The black and red lines are the wires conecting the speakers, the green squares are connecting tabs on the speakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I want to use the speaker setups as speakers themselves without the cd stereo unit. I know I would need a crossover connected to the speakers (Don't have the centre unit can't look for one there) but I am unsure what to get (2-way/3-way) or how to hook it up. After some research I got confused by this diagram because ...

... it seems passive crossovers are connected to each type of speaker individually - which would not be possible here as they are are pre-wired and only have two input wires. (btw I want to use passive)
So, can I use a crossover here with the current status quo or would I need to rewire the speakers? Thanks in advance for helping someone new to this. Cheers.

You already have a crossover.
The crossover *is* the little components that you see inside the Sony speakers.

2 wires in ----> crossover ---> the crossover sends the correct frequencies to each 'driver'.

In a very basic crossover, it may be that the whole signal is going to the woofer (4" speaker) and a capacitor only allows the high frequencies to the tweeter (high frequency or treble speaker).

Tweeters will die very quickly if driven with a bass signal! They are not designed to move very much. They are not designed to handle very much power either.

Woofers can handle a 'full range' signal that contains bass, mid and treble. This may not always sound great but depends on the situation I guess.

A slightly more advanced crossover would remove some high frequencies from the woofer and at the same time remove everything but the high frquencies (treble) from the tweeter.

So, basically, yes. You can just attach the two wires (before the crossover) to whatever you're using as an amp. A crossover is already there.

Hey thanks for that sonusthree :D That's a great help to me. I'm reckon I'll be alright without a more advanced crossover, as I'm no audio connoisseur, and I just want to get these going as pc speakers on the cheap (and now I don't have to buy a crossover).

Just taking a look for myself I realised that the "little components" sonusthree mentioned aren't immediately visible and was wondering if anyone would please be able to corroborate his opinion? (Not saying he's wrong - in fact he's probably right - I'd just like the support of another knowledgeable audio person before I go wiring everything up and sealing the boxes and then potentially breaking the speakers because they actually don't have a crossover already.

Edit: here's a picture of the speakers.

Ok I can't get a picture of the backs at the moment but looking more carefully I noticed there actually is a component on the back of one speaker: a capacitor (I think...) is wired across the two positive terminals of the 2" speaker. To be precise it is the two terminals on my diagram where the red wires connect. The capacitor says bi polar, 50v, 2.2uF. Does this qualify as a crossover?

Thanks for your help everybody, I guess I can get on with putting these together then.

Oh by the way, while I've got a thread going:
I've been looking through the audio kits of http://www.jaycar.co.nz and could someone please tell me if any of these amplifiers from them would be suitable for what I'm doing/which would be most suitable?

1 Watt Audio Amplifier Module Kit http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=557
50 Watt Amplifier Module Kit http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=557
"The Champ" 0.5 Watt Audio Amplifier Kit http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=557
SC-480 50W Amplifier Module Kit Version 1 TO-220 http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=557

By the way I'm limited to this store as I'm only checking it out as I'm already purchasing something from them. If none of the above amps are suitable then I'll be going with an Amp6-Basic as I'm about to purchase one anyway.

Frankly, 2 of those kits are garbage, and of the remaining two both are overpowered and one is probably too complex a build for somebody who has to ask if it's appropriate.

If you REALLY want to, then, you could go with the "50 Watt Amplifier Module Kit", which is a pretty ordinary implementation of LM3875. Note that you'd need 2 ($68), a 25-0-25 160VA toroid ($60) and the bulk capacitance and bridge rectifiers. Oh, and two decent heat sinks. All that brings the cost to about $180 or thereabouts, and that's before you've put it in a case and added connectors, volume pots and whatnot.

Rather than doing that, I'd buy the Chipamp.com LM1875 stereo kit ($45 USD or thereabouts), which, while you'll still need to buy the case, heatsinks, connectors, volume pot and transformer, is a very good implementation, and includes the other power supply components.

All that said - The Amp6 basic is as good or better anyway, buy it and be happy not having to worry so much about getting something that works. It will provide more than sufficient power to get those (TBH, complete junk) speakers going with plentiful volume.

Much thanks Seeker, that was pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. A good honest, enlightening (for me anyway) opinion. I think I'll be going with the Amp6-Basic to power the speakers, pretty much because of what you just said. I realise they're garbage but I found them lying round having been ignored for years and would like to get them going for something useful. BTW I'm definitely no audiophile and just want to use these as speakers for a pc/mp3 player so the audio quality may well do me fine.

I think I'm sorted now, big ups to you guys who replied for helping me out with something I'm new to/don't know that much about.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.