SMD/DIP Converter Sockets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doing point-to-point wiring with DIPs is challenging, but the results can be really good if you know what you're doing, however the newer SOIC, SOP, and worst of all, TSOP :bawling: chips make point-to-point layout next to impossible. I've seen SMD to DIP converter sockets (I think they call them "footprint conversion adapters" in the industry) on offer at various online distributors, unfortunately though, they carry a hefty price tag-the cheapest 18-pin TSOP/18-pin DIP converter I've seen so far is about $16 each :xeye: . Aren't there any cheaper than that---in the sub-$2 range or thereabout?

Attachments

• dip_adapters_5.jpg
    dip_adapters_5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 153
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
30 gauge wire and a steady hand will let you do point to point prototyping with SMDs. Granted the TSSOP packages with tight pin spacing are tougher to work with, but the SOIC and other packages aren't bad once you get the hang of it. Honestly, you don't even need a soldering iron with a fine tip. I find the blade style tips to work best with just about any SMD components.

BWRX said:
30 gauge wire and a steady hand will let you do point to point prototyping with SMDs. Granted the TSSOP packages with tight pin spacing are tougher to work with, but the SOIC and other packages aren't bad once you get the hang of it. Honestly, you don't even need a soldering iron with a fine tip. I find the blade style tips to work best with just about any SMD components.

Been there :xeye: . I made a few headphone amplifiers with Texas Instruments TPA6120A2 20-pin op-amps and whatever their newest D/A converter is, the two biggest challenges I had were keeping the part still and keeping one lead from desoldering itself while I was heating its neighbor. I eventually solved it by forcing a (tiny!) block of teflon between the pins, but it was still kinda touchy... Sticking the DA converter to the board with hot glue helped keep it from slipping around, but wouldn't work on the "Thermally Enhanced" op-amp. I'm beginning to think IC houses really hate hobbyists. :(

amc184 said:
Check out the ones at Futurlec. Their shipping is cheap too.

Limhes said:
This guy sells some for 2 to 5 euro:
http://www.voti.nl/shop/catalog.html
If you click the English flag in the upper left corner you'll read somewhere that he sends out to non-EU countries as well.

:bigeyes: Certainly better than the $16-$40 I was finding the other day.

Elvee said:

Clever! I'm going to have to try this now, whether I need to or not.

Many thanks guys
~Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.