Simplest RF momentary switch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know much about RF remote control. I posted to a few electronics boards asking how to most simply connect two momentary switches with RF. I was directed to a number of ICs and modules that require PIC programming skills and such that I'm not familiar with.

I was really hoping that I might, at this state of the wireless arts in 2008, find an RF IC from digikey or other with about eight pins. Say xmit power, antenna in/out, switch.... same for the rcv side. I could provide the op-amp and relay on the receiving end. 100ft through obstacles. Nothing the FCC would bother with. Doorbell type technology.

I could hack into a wireless doorbell, but it kinda irritates me that I can't find a cleaner solution to this without actually hacking apart an off the shelf item, or having to build a whole new circuit designed to accomplish this.

Is it possible that it's really so complex a proposition for a relative novice like myself?

Hi
I have experience with RF, not sure what your doing and frequencies ect.
http://www.minicircuits.com/products/switches_main.html

edit> I thought you wanted an RF switch, re-reading I got it , you really want a wireless remote switch.

Not that simple you're really talking about a complex system!~ radios and transmitter.....Rx and Tx with RF/IF , IC's, Antenna's, RFamps, selectivity, RF & IF tuned circuits, demodulation, decoding, transmit power, spurious transmissions
Yes ...A garage door opener technology is what you want, but you don't want to recreate that do you?/retrofit might be more inline with your needs. Sorry

[/url]

I'm just a little stunned that this capacity does not exist "off the shelf" for people with at least a modicum of electronic skills. Remote control is so nearly ubiquitous in the household this far into the century that ordering the parts to accomplish the feat would seem to be within reach of a soldering iron and at least the skill required to op-amp a relay off of a 1ma output pin.

Reduced to to 'hacking' a wireless doorbell to accomplish something like this I feel like I inhabit a "beyond thunderdome" landscape where lost technological skill is trapped within the detrius of long dead generations. Roughly functional 'black boxes' cobbled together by mad tinkerers result. In this case it's not a generation forgotten, but the distance between the west coast and the shipping docks of Shanghai and Qingdao.

Oh well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.