TV audio out to headphones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i've got a large television that doesn't have headphone output, but does have a stereo RCA audio output.

what do i need between those RCA outputs and a pair of headphones? i'm assuming they're at line level, so i could plug them into a preamp with a volume control (like this).

would this be enough to drive the headphones, or is there a simpler way?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Just to add please do make sure the TV does not have a live chassis. It sounds like this one doesn't with external RCA's but it's not an absolute guarantee, they could be transformer coupled.
Anyone with an older TV particularly ones with no scart inputs, and most do have a live chassis at half mains potential.
Just a thought if anyone searches this out in months to come :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
If you don't fancy opening the TV up ( and without seeing a circuit I would not like to say for sure it is fully isolated ) then your best bet is a separate amp as you mention. The one in your link is a pre amp, you need a "headphone amp" which is similar but better suited to driving the low impedance load of 'phones.
Why not have a go at making one :)

http://cpc.farnell.com/HK00531/car-leisure-hobbies/product.us0?sku=cebek-es-5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.