Wharfedale Linton 3XP speaker wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm from Australia, and I would like to know the polarity of the crossover terminals in a set of old Wharfedale Linton 3XP speakers. The terminals are not marked polarity-wise and someone has glued the crossover in so it can't be removed safely (the speakers aren't connected). I know they aren't great speakers, but I want to wire them up properly! Thank you ever so much in anticipation.

It looks to me like the woofer terminals are on one side of the x/over and the input terminals are over the other side, and the midrange has a resistor? between + and - ,...but which are positives and which are negatives for all of them?

On a passive crossover, the polarity shouldn't matter. just make sure you make it the same on all pairs of terminals. Then when you have the speakers all wired up, you can play a track with a big kick drum sound. if the woofers move back on the transient, flip the polarity coming from the amps. if they move forward, you are set.

Thank-you very much, groovebot

The only trouble is that the upperside only of the 3-way x/over is visible (only the components, not the circuit tracking), and I can't see any polarity marks on EACH terminal, and I DON'T think that the terminals go necessarily across in a linear fashion....i.e: + - + - + - + -

ALL speakers are disconnected from the x/overs on BOTH speaker boxes, so I didn't see the original connection sequences. Both x/overs are glued in somewhat prehistorically, (by someone other than Wharfedale), hence removal is difficult or unsafe; only the upperside caps and inductors are visible but NOT their relationship to EACH terminal.
I can ascertain which terminal set belongs to the woofer, mid, & tweeter by sending music through the input terminals and listening to the resultant frequencies produced at each set, and I understand forward speaker excursion/polarity issues, BUT it's hard to get noticable excursion from the tweeter/high frequencies, hence discerning tweeter polarity is a bit difficult.
Is there a multi-meter method of checking each terminal set for polarity (with a known polarity being introduced via the input terminals).

there might be some standard orientation but I'm not aware of it myself. a repair shop like dbm in new york or triple S in NJ might be able to tell you.

otherwise, you can try looking at the direction of the windings of wire on the drivers and use the right hand rule to figure out which way current is gonna push it. if that's not possible I guess you have to just try both ways and listen for the narrow band comb filtering. If you really don't trust your ears you gotta bring out the sweep tone analysis software like WinMLS.

Thank-you again, groovebot

Could you do me a favour and e-mail jonlawes (a fellow diy user) on my behalf, because I am only new and my e-mailing is not allowed yet; Or could you refer me to the moderators.
I have done a search, and I see that he has a set of the Wharfedale Linton 3XP's.
All he would need to do is remove the woofer (4 screws), push back the padding, and there is the crossover connections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.