PCB to PCB board style connectors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In general, for PCB to PCB board connections for low power/low priority signals (I.E. not high current power wires or sensitive analog signals), I'd like to know what people use. For instance, if there are six wires (let's say digital signals, and a ground wire) that have to go from the front panel PCB to the main board PCB, what is a good kind of connector/socket to use?

Here's a list of the more-or-less common connectors that I have seen used in the past:

Rectangular header (0.1 inch pitch) [some of these need crimp pins to insert the wires in to each individual header slot]

RJ-11 (telephone jack)

RJ-45 (network cable jack)

The issue isn't really with the cost of the connectors, the crimp pins that come with some of them, or the wire from connector to connector. The major issue is the cost of the crimp tool that goes "with" each kind of connector! Some of them cost over $100.

rtarbell said:
The issue isn't really with the cost of the connectors, the crimp pins that come with some of them, or the wire from connector to connector. The major issue is the cost of the crimp tool that goes "with" each kind of connector! Some of them cost over $100.

Those tools are sold for ripoff prices.

GB is a "jobber" brand for electrical tools. An F-59 crimp tool for them costs $10 at the local hardware store and up to $140 at the electronic stores and y'know what? They are both GB brand!!!!!!

Shop around.

Cheers!

You can get these Molex to Molex connectors from Digikey.

Attachments

• molex.jpg
    molex.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 238
Thank you all for your replies!

I really like those IDC cable connectors - they splice the insulation for you! No crimp tool needed (well, maybe a small vice would be helpful, but I already have one of those!), and they can come keyed (with the male end shrouded) if needed so that you can't insert them the wrong way!

There is a proper tool, but a small vice or pliers usually works. I have to recommend that you test each IDC cable you make though, if you don't use the proper tool, some of the knives may not cut the insulation first time.

Attachments

• ht-214.jpg
    ht-214.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 156
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.