iPod (5.5g) to 13 pin DIN connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For plugging my 5 gen iPod into my Toyota Matrix Head Unit's CD input.

13 pin DIN input on stereo:
1 RT Out
2 RT In
3 LT Out
4 LT In
5 GNd
6 CD PLAY
7 ACC +B
8 DISC IN
9 ILL -
10 To Battery
11 ILL +B
12 CD MODE
13 MUTE
14 Ground

I could just use the headphones out and tap into the R in and L in...but what would tell the radio that the cd player is active (DISC IN I would guess) - and wht do I use to send the "on" signal?

Ideally I would like to use the dock port. :smash:

Found this pinout description for the dock connector:
(used on iPods 3rd gen and newer, including iPhone)

Pin Signal Description
1 GND Ground (-), internaly connected with Pin 2 on iPod motherboard
2 GND Audio & Video ground (-), internaly connected with Pin 2 on iPod motherboard
3 Right Line Out - R (+) (Audio output, right channel)
4 Left Line Out - L(+) (Audio output, left channel)
5 Right In Line In - R (+)
6 Left In Line In - L (+)
11 GND Serial GND
12 Tx ipod sending line, Serial TxD
13 Rx ipod receiving line, Serial RxD
14 RSVD Reserved
15 GND Ground (-), internally connected with pin 16 on iPod motherboard
16 GND USB GND (-), internally connected with pin 15 on iPod motherboard
17 RSVD Reserved
18 3.3V 3.3V Power (+)
19,20 +12V Firewire Power 12 VDC (+)
21 Accessory Indicator/Serial enable
Different resistances indicate accessory type:
1kOhm - iPod docking station, beeps when connected
10kOhm - Takes some iPods into photo import mode
500kOhm - related to serial communication / used to enable serial communications Used in Dension Ice Link Plus car interface
1MOhm - Belkin auto adaptor, iPod shuts down automatically when power disconnected Connecting pin 21 to ground with a 1MOhm resistor does stop the ipod when power (i.e. Firewire-12V) is cut. Looks to be that when this pin is grounded it closes a switch so that on loss of power the Ipod shuts off. Dock has the same Resister.
22 TPA (-) FireWire Data TPA (-)
23 5 VDC (+) USB Power 5 VDC (+)
24 TPA (+) FireWire Data TPA (+)
25 Data (-) USB Data (-)
26 TPB (-) FireWire Data TPB (-)
27 Data (+)
USB Data (+)
Pins 25 and 27 may be used in different manner. To force the iPod 5G to charge in any case, when "USB Power 5 VDC" (pin 23) is fed, 25 must be connected to 5V through a 10kOhm resistor, and 27 must be connected to the Ground (for example: pin 1) with a 10kOhm resistor.
28 TPB (+) FireWire Data TPB (+)
29,30 GND FireWire Ground (-)

What pins on the DIN connector should be wired to what pins on the docking port to achieve:

Line Out
Charging
Device detection (so radio changes from CD Player to CD Changer)

No other controls needed as I use RockBox which doesn't allow for changing folder, play/pause...etc to be controlled via accessory devices (ie a car stereo).

Thanks.:confused:

I have a 2004 tacoma and a Dension Ice Link. It's a great combo that lets me control my iPhone (1st gen) from the head unit as well as charge it and listen to music.

Dension has no distributor in the USA as far as I can tell. DensionUS just disappeared.

There are lots of ice links on sale on ebay for a few bucks. I just bought two for honda for $7 each.

The ice links on ebay will not charge the iPhone 3G, but I'm modifying a cradle to charge a 3G phone without disturbing any of the other ice link features.

I've been playing with the charging to make sure I understand the differences between the old and new charging requirements. As part of that experiment, I've modded a generic 12V USB charger to work with the iPhone.

http://getinthewoodchipper.com/?p=9

Sheldon

JRace,
I have the same 13pin DIN pinout and am looking for the same answers. For the audio signal, left and right input is obviously pins 2 & 4, and for the negative I was going to connect both to pin 5 (GND).
As for telling the head unit to use that input, that's what I'm still trying to figure out. Charging would be a bonus, but if I can just figure out how to get the audio portion working I'd be happy. I've searched the internet and been reading a lot of forums trying to figure this out.
Also, looking at the female 13pin DIN on the back of you car's radio, does yours have metal contacts only in certain pins? Mine only has contacts in pins: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, & 11. So with a little research, and process of elimination, I'm going to attempt to jumper pin 10 to 6 hoping that's what till have the stereo accept the signal.
I have two links that I have found useful, so I imagine you will as well. When I run home for my lunch break, I'll grab them and post them up here for you. If I attempt this configuration before you find out any more info, I'll let you know my results!
-Steve

Here's that link (the other is just a diagram for the 13-pin DIN plug, which you already know). http://carstereoipod.blogspot.com/
Different stereo, different input plug, but same idea. The only thing is I wonder if his connection to the 12V power for 'device detection' is something specific to that type of plug (the 20-pin square in his images).
Alternatively, if you look at the bottom post at the bottom of this thread page: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=194403&page=1
You'll see that he's run a wire from the pin that does the 'device detection' to a switch (just like in the previous link) but the other pole on the switch doesn't connect to 12V power... it sounds like it connects to a ground?? I'm not sure about this. It's a little bit of a mystery that he doesn't explain where that line ends, all he describes is running the wire to the switch... but then where does the other pole of the switch go?
Just posting all the info I've found so far. Hope we can figure this out! :confused:
-Steve

One more thought... looking at the iPod docking pinout, perhaps if the 12V pin on the DIN plug (number 10) was connected to the iPod Firewire ground (number 29,30), and the iPod 12V Firewire power (number 19,20) was connected to the DIN plug collar ground (number 14), that would achieve charging the iPod.
This is a guess, and I wouldn't attempt it without someone with more iPod electrical knowledge confirming this. My knowledge in this whole realm is pretty knew, so I wouldn't want anyone frying their iPod! I would imagine this would only work if that number 14 ground on the DIN plug made it's way back to the battery's negative pole, but I could be wrong and maybe all you need is a regular ground when charging (again, basic electrical knowledge here... I don't claim to be any kind of expert;) ).
Would like to hear your thoughts on this JRace, and anyone else who might come across this thread more knowledgeable than us!

So I suppose the standing questions are regarding the 'device detection' and charging.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.