DIY oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have shematics for this?

I'm using a friend's scope right now to test my gainclone, and it (the scope :D) works quite good
My friend told me his father built it many years ago

I think I'm not the only one interessted in building a scope, since the commercial products are so expensive:bawling:

I've built two scopes from scratch

the first was just a waveform monitor -- used it to look at the transmitter output from ham radio gear -- the second was from an article in Electronics World or Popular Electronics, but I built the unit on a military surplus 3" scope chasis. It was a lot of work and I wouldn't do it again.

Because of the telecom bubble in the US and elsewhere good TEK and HP scopes can be had for a small fraction of their original price. If you don't want to go this far upscale, many of the Heathkit scopes are very dependable and dirt cheap, I mean like $20. Most EBay sellers with good feedback ratings will ship outside the US. Often to adapt to the higher European voltage it's just a matter of changing a jumper in the back.

Attachments

• scope.gif
    scope.gif
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,844
The Swedish edition of Elektor had an article about a DIY oscilloscope some years ago, using a matrix of several small LED:s instead of a CRT. Didn´t look very useful though.
Besides the parts would cost more than a used ´scope.

If you are more interested in getting a useful scope rather than the challenge of building one I would suggest that you look for a second hand. I bought one some weeks ago for 300SEK (about 30 USD)

Re: I've built two scopes from scratch

jackinnj said:
It was a lot of work and I wouldn't do it again.
I'll second that. This was my effort a long time ago -> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=137848#post137848
Way better idea to buy some old second hand thing. Stick to a solid state scope though because a vacuum tube one may cost just too much to bring up to spec if it has seen a lot of running hours. Also, don't *repeat* don't buy anthing cheap just because it needs a new crt. Some of these are ridiculously priced. I had a $50 scope that was lacking in brightness and the price of a new crt was AUD$900. No thanks. :(

I'm currently designing a PC-based oscilloscope myself, not exactly an easy project but certainly very interesting.

If you want a scope to measure your main projects rather than the scope being your main project I would not recommend trying to build one.

If you are still interested there is some stuff on the web:

http://www.alternatezone.com/electronics/dsoamk3.htm
http://www.bitscope.com
http://www.johann-glaser.at/projects/DSO/

And my own design so far (some of it at least)
http://area26.no-ip.org/?section=hard&project=scope

Digital scopes..

Bricolo said:

only 60MHz???!!! :bigeyes:
Bricolo,

Have you looked into Fourier yet?
A nice intro:
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/sound/sound.html

Remember, if your 'scope had 20KHz bandwidth, you would see almost no wave-shape to most audio signals.
With 40KHz, you could see clipping, but not know whether it was on one - or both half-cycles.
With 60KHz, you'd know which, but not know anything more about the shape.
With 6MHz, you can see good detail on the audio waveform, and check for some interference.

If you want to see detail, you need bandwidth.

For 6 MHz: 100MHz sampling is reasonable - still difficult to build at home.

Cheers,

dhaen said:

I've not built a digital scope, but I own one.
Although it is only 60 MHz bandwidth, the sampling frequency is 1GHz (to get enough resolution). This would not be a trivial project!

Cheers,

What sampling frequency and analog bandwidth you need depends on a lot of things. If your signals have *no* frequency components above 60Mhz then of course a 120Msps sampling rate is enough to perfectly reconstruct (or view) the signal.

If the 60Mhz signal also has a non-sinus shape (that is, it has harmonics) you need to sample faster to capture those harmonics, but to me that's not really a "60Mhz" signal anymore.

Then there's also effective sample rate, which is the reason I'm designing my scope to have an analog bandwidth *higher* than the sampling frequency. If your signal is periodic you can sample many periods, and as long as you know the base frequency of the signal in relation to the sample frequency (and your ADC has good enough bandwidth) you can combine all those samples into a detailed image of one signal period. I've seen scopes with a 20Msps ADC and an effective sample rate of 2Gsps...

This kind of sampling is not as good as "real" sampling of course, but it can still be useful, as long as you understand the limitations.

I just buy second-hand scopes (presently using a 350MHz Tek analog model), but I have some interest in making my own probes. Differential active probes are useful for digital projects, but they cost a lot used and a fortune new. But, it doesn't seem overly difficult to build a fast amp with high input impedance and around 10pF input capacitance.

Does anyone have experience building their own probe? Plans for one?

I too usually just buy second hand Tektronix scopes. I've amassed quite a collection for not alot of $$. Have a 465B, 7104A, 7633 Storage , SC504, and SC501, and my latest restoration project is a 315D vacuum tube scope. This was Tektronix's second manufactured product. Its only got 5mhz bandwidth and single trace, but is built like a tank and built beautifully to say the least. It has 41 tubes including the CRT!! Rectification is by 6 selenmuim rectifiers.

So far I have cleaned it up and have replaced all the bypass caps and it now works......still have the power supply caps to replace and then calibration....but considering its circa 1952 its pretty amazing it still works at all. This scope will operate on 120-240 volts 60 to 800hz and has an internal fan as loud as a 747!
Mark

Attachments

• 100_0597 copy.jpg
    100_0597 copy.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 876
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.