DIY oscilloscope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it's the non-standard chips in some of the TEK scopes. mind you, this shouldn't be a problem.

in one of my old TEK5100 series I had to scrounge a "miller integrator" 14-pin DIP for a 5L4 spectrum analyzer since the one in the analyzer was "removed" by the prior owner -- luckily they use the same chip in most of the old 5XXX series plug-ins.

you really shouldn't have a problem with the 2XXX series scopes.

Many of the TEk scopes use hybrid modules which take many forms. Some are deposited film resistor networks with opamps built on to them. This is used in many of the portable TEK scopes. These hybrids not only allow the scopes to be small but they also allow incredible specifications to be met on production units. These critical parts are all adjusted when they are deposited on the ceramic substrates thay are usually found on. Many TEK scopes also use ALOT of custom I.C.'s that are NLA. Thay can only be gotten fomr scrapping another scope. Having these hybrids and I.C.'s is not really such a bad thing because it allows exceptional performance in these units. The only drawback is their non-availability.

The photo below shows the vert/HV board of an SC80 which is an 80 meg dual trace TM500 series scope. The 4 blue arrows on the gray switch modules point to the input hybrids, and to the attenuator hybrids all of which are actually located on the input range switches. The gold switch contacts are also on these ceramic plug in hybrids!! The white arrow towards the rear points to a thick film hybrid that is in the HV divider circuit. This hybrid divider supplys a few of the many operating voltages needed by the CRT. These scopes are works of art inside and not many companies can claim that. Hope some of this this helps......

Mark

Attachments

• 100_0689 copy2.jpg
    100_0689 copy2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 448
Here is another example of hybrid custom stuff in TEK scopes. This one is the Verticle. amp in my 7704A. The round part to the right of middle is a hybrid I.C. custom made by Tetronix. It is essentally the entire vert. output amplifier. If this IC fails one has to track down another one fomr one of the several TEK parts sources out there, or get one from another scope. These I.C.'s are found in LOTS of TEK scopes. Indeed you will have trouble with the 24XX scopes for parts as TEK stopped supporting CRT based stuff, and most of the TM-500 stuff about 4 to 5 years ago. Most of the parts stock that was left went to surplus houses. The older 4XX series and earlier also have far better CRT's with much sharper traces. This CRT sharpness problem was a big deal for alot of TEK users and is why the 465 still pretty much remains the most widly used service scope today.
Mark

Attachments

• 100_0736 copy1.jpg
    100_0736 copy1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 449
Yet another example of what there can be lurking under the covers......

The 8 black round things are more custom I.C.s. These are in a 7A26 vert input module being used in the 7704A. This module has a bandwidth thats good to 250 mhz! These run hot! not like Pass Labs stuff, but they do get hot...

Hardly trying to discourage anyone from buying a used TEK scope....am only making those aware that there are special things under the hood. This is perhaps also another reason that certain tube TEK scopes still have such a huge following. Seems like tubes will always be around.
Mark

Attachments

• 100_0737 copy1.jpg
    100_0737 copy1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 451
You can't beat Ebay for scopes. I got a tek 465 with a few problems for $40.00. A true blue American made tank. Truely a beautifully made peice of equipment. Cost more than most cars new. Then I decided I wanted a scope and not a project and got a BK Precision 2120 that works perfectly (but only 20mhz and no delay in timebase) for $60.00. Maybe after my Alephs and Speakers are finished I may fiddle with the old 465.

My point
If you want to make a scope, make a scope by all means
If you want a scope, buy one on Ebay. They can be had for a song. I've seen pristine 465s and 475s with manuals and probes go for $200-$350. And lesser revered brands (but more than adequate for us DIYers) for as low as $30.00

Yes I'm an Ebay junky.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.