Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Select switch actuator
Select switch actuator
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 04:16 PM   #1
grummaniser is offline grummaniser  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Select switch actuator

Has anyone any idea what these things are called and whether they can be bought any more? This is the mechanical connection between the front panel knob and the i/p selector switch on a Denon PMA-1060 amp but I'm sure I've seen them in all sorts of other equipment. I think the switch on the end is made by Alps but haven't managed to locate one on their site. Not knowing what to call it makes it harder!

In case it's not clear, it is a flexible strip of steel enclosed in a plastic ladder-like outer and operates just like a Bowden cable, capable of transmitting pull and push forces to operate the switch.

This one is broken at the front panel (just out of picture) and is the only thing wrong with this amp, so it would be nice to get it working.

This is the first time I've posted an image on this site so I've put it on my old site too at http://www.bassman.demon.co.uk/images/actuator.jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg actuator.jpg (27.4 KB, 91 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
hifimaker is offline hifimaker  United States
diyAudio Member
hifimaker's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Jose
These switches were the rage in the late 80's and into the 90's. Adcom used these quite a bit. The marketing hype was improved sound due to a reduced signal path. This was a cheap way to not have to upgrade to good hook-up wire. Nothing inherently wrong with this type of switch, just the marketing spin.

The switch name escapes me though.

  Reply With Quote


Select switch actuatorHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to select MOSFET's gearheadgene Class D 79 4th October 2006 04:48 PM
Using a spdt switch to select between triode mode and pentode mode on a guitar amp. G Instruments and Amps 19 15th March 2006 09:15 AM
amp questions for driving 'voice coil actuator'? steve Solid State 10 6th October 2005 12:03 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio